Topic

Steripen Quantum

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Steripen Quantum

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

One must also allow for those who don’t believe there are any bugs there if they can’t see them, and don’t believe the UV disables them if they can’t see the bugs on their backs with their feet in the air …

Cheers

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

So using a steripen in a foil lined mylar bag wouldn’t hurt the steripen at all, and could even make it more effective? Am I getting that right?

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I carry my Steripen Adventurer mainly to use in my bike bottle for making electrolyte drink. I could save weight by leaving it at home and carrying a few extra Katadyn tabs.

All my Camelbak bladder water is done every night with Katadyn chlorine dioxide tablets.

So far no GI bugs on my backpacks. But I am very careful about cleanup before eating and after potty time. Always using hand sanitizer.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Doug

Right.

Washing hands afterwards is just so obvious. Ask Mummy!

Cheers

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

probably, the foil liner of the mylar bag would reflect UV light back into the water which would help kill bugs

if there’s a layer of plastic between the foil and the water, the plastic might absorb any UV, in that case the foil wouldn’t make any difference

the boundary between the water and plastic, foil, or air will reflect UV depending on the angle of the light and the indices of refraction.  Basic physics class problem.

probably best to assume no UV is reflected back

I don’t think there’s a good answer to your question about foil liner.  Won’t hurt though

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools