Topic

Starting them young – dyneema baby carrier

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Starting them young – dyneema baby carrier

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Chi
    BPL Member

@channelx0

Just finished making my son his new baby carrier.  I received a baby carrier from a friend when we had our son  I liked that the original carrier had options for front, side, and rear carry while the kid faced either towards or away from you.  The original carrier was hot and bulky made out of cotton had thick poly insulation(1lb 11oz) and had no way of carrying anything.  The new carrier I made has a 210 Dyneema Ripstop outer, 3d spacer mesh inner, and 1/8″ closed cell foam on the hip belt and shoulder straps, and a spadex front pocket with velcro closure and comes in at 15 oz.  I still need to figure out somewhere to place daisy chainned webbing so I can add a water bottle holder.  Took it out for about 2.5 hr walk around Seattle today.  My son seemed to enjoy it, slept 3/4 of the time.  Included in the pic is what i carry in the pocket.

Iago Vazquez
    BPL Member

@iago

Locale: Boston & Galicia, Spain

Nice!

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama

Very nice!  My kids always loved these.  My oldest wouldn’t fall asleep until I took him for a walk around the neighborhood each night.  That worked well in Southern California, then I visited my parents in Northern Michigan in winter and I had to figure a way to take my kid for his evening walk with -10F temperatures

It would be interesting to hear how this performs as the weather warms up.  I felt the insulation was actually to give some separation between you and the kid so you don’t overheat each other.  How well that works I have no idea.

Chi
    BPL Member

@channelx0

With the carrier that I loosely based mine off of there was no separation between the baby and myself. On all the walks 1-3 hrs usually, I usually come back with a sweat mark where he’s pressed against my chest. My idea is the spacer mesh to help get some airflow for him which would cool him and effectively make a cooler baby against me. It’s only 50/60 degrees out and the hills of Seattle are pretty good but now so come 70/80 and actual hikes I think his time will have to be limited to prevent overheating.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools