Topic

Starkist Single serve Chicken pouches

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Starkist Single serve Chicken pouches

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Adam Holbrook
    Spectator

@pharmer

Locale: SW Ohio

Just a heads up if you hadn’t seen them yet, but Starkist has 4 new single serve size flavored chicken pouches.  The calories/ ounces aren’t great, but it should add some options to most everyone’s food bag.  My local Kroger only had the buffalo and ginger soy available the other day.

Chicken salad

Ginger Soy

Lemon Pepper

Buffalo

Earl G
    BPL Member

@earlgrey

Thanks Adam! I’d given up on seeing chicken in pouches, so I’ll resume my hunt knowing this option is out there.  If I remember, I’ll update this post with where I find them in the Minneapolis – St. Paul area.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Yup. The foil packs of chicken seem to come and go in the stores.

When my son was backpacking with the Scouts, our standard dinner was Ramen plus foil packed chicken and maybe a pouch of Mtn House freeze dried veggies.

I shall also search for them.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

I don’t know if they’re available across the country, but our local Wal-Marts carry Tyson Chunk White Chicken Pouches.  We mix them with Ramen for a hot lunch on our first day when it’s cold out.  We’ve found that 7 ounces is a little too much for one person but that two packages shared among three people is about perfect.

Adam Holbrook
    Spectator

@pharmer

I was I near Charleston SC when I saw the TV commercial and I live in the greater Cincinnati OH area. Haven’t checked back to see if my local Kroger  has more flavors in stock.

We have had the larger plain pouches too, but they’re too big for single serve unless it’s cold and you can keep it a day, but then theyres the potential mess issue.

Earl G
    BPL Member

@earlgrey

Update: I went to our local newly remodeled Super Target, and they are now carrying the flavoured chicken.  I also missed them because the packaging is so similar in design/color to the flavoured tuna packets.

Our Target is carrying Chicken Salad, Lemon Pepper, and Buffalo, but not Ginger Soy :-(  I bought one of each to try.  Thanks again Adam.

Adam Holbrook
    Spectator

@pharmer

You’re quite welcome Earl.  I hope it adds something to your backpacking food supply.

I haven’t had a chance to try the ones I have yet.  I’ll most likely be adding them to rice to gain some calories and filling.  Possibly eating them as is on a tortilla or with crackers for lunch/ stoveless options.

MikekiM
    BPL Member

@mikekim

Locale: Somewhere East of Montauk

Wow.. I gave up on finding chicken singles.  This is good to know.

I’ll check Walmart/Target etc…

Adam Holbrook
    Spectator

@pharmer

I checked my local Kroger the other day.  They have 3/4 flavors still.  They do not have the chicken salad one.

I noticed they carry canned flavored chicken and even some pulled pork.  Would be good for overnight trips.  Youll need a can opener though as they didn’t have the pop tops on the cans.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools