Topic

Sportiva Spire GTX?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Sportiva Spire GTX?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Joey G
    BPL Member

@joey-green

I’m looking for a new trail runner for my backpacking trips this year. Last year I used the Alta Lone Peaks. I did like feeling the ground, especially jumping on boulders on the Washington coast, but my foot would easily kind of slide in them when I needed some extra grip.

I wanted to maybe try the La Sportiva Spire GTX this year. I tried some on and even though they don’t have the wide toe box, they were really comfortable. My concern is the gore-tex. I’ve never backpacked in shoes with gore-tex and I’m afraid that my feet will sweat or something and cause problems. Is this a real concern? Does anyone have experience with this?

For reference both my trips will be at elevation in Washington again so temperatures won’t exceed 60 degrees.

https://www.sportiva.com/spire-gtx.html

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

I have both Goretex and non-Goretex shoes (Salomon). I only wear the Goretex in cool, wet conditions. They’re just too hot in the summer, and because of the built-in Gore booty, there’s less padding in the heel which I’ve found problematic at times.

I’d think no more than 60* you’ll be fine.

Murali C
    BPL Member

@mchinnak

I have worn La Sportiva Lycan GTX on most of my trips – 375 miles of PCT-Washington, 500 mile CT, 175 miles of SHR and aorund 160 miles of AZT (in April – was hot). CT was also hot. I had no issues with sweating etc. I actually also wear Rocky Woods Gore-tex liners over my Injinji and then the GTX Lycan’s. No sweating at all. Never have to wash my feet – they look like I have done zero walking even after 20+ mile days – they are so clean.

Best is to try it on 3 to 4 hour hikes before embarking on a major trip. I always test my shoes for at least 4 hours on hikes. I had the Rockywoods Goretex liner as a precaution when I was hiking PCT-Washington section. One day I forgot to remove it after rain stopped. I then started wearing it the whole day and I haven’t looked back since. No blisters. No extra sweating. Keeps my feet clean and dry!

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Have you tried on the AKASHA II Not an Altra width but not bad for La Sportiva and they are breathable.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools