Topic

spice kit

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

I make my own meals at home, and do my best to season them well the first time.  Nonetheless, once in a while it just doesn’t taste right, or needs a little oomph.  I have carried a spice kit made with plastic drinking straws in a tiny zip loc bag, weighing less than an ounce.  With disposable drinking straws now on the evil list, and eating less fast food, straws will be in short supply.  I need to renew my spice kit, and I probably will just use the pill pocket zip-locs that I have on hand, but I wondered if anyone had any other way of carrying a little spice.  The latest TrailGroove magazine had an article on this, but he carries in 1 ounce Nalgenes, which seemed really big and heavy.  Any other suggestions?

I usually carry spice mixtures to match my cuisine: taco seasoning, italian seasoning, ginger and garlic for Asian, curry powder.  Any other favorites?

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

I use those little ziplock pill pouches for everything. Dont pack a lot of spice tho as they can get pretty gunky after 4-5 openings/pourings.

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

That was something I was worried about, JCH.  I’ve used the pouches for packing honey powder for my tea before, and yes, they  eventually don’t work well.

I was contemplating using these little bottles, and taking the dropper cap out, and just using the screw on lid.  Filling them would require a little funnel, at least a twisted bit of paper. They hold 3 cc, or slightly over 1/2 teaspoon.

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

I just use small aluminum foil pieces that I can fold with the spices inside.  They’re still fairly easy to open and re-fold closed. Light, cheap, simple.

jimmyjam
    BPL Member

@jimmyjam

Locale: Mid Atlantic

I use used eye dropper bottles similar to the one above. Also use them for olive oil, bleach, soap.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I like these Litesmith mini jars – easier to fill and still light. Good for pills as well as spices. They also sell those small dropper bottles if you want to go that route, and they sell a micro funnel for a buck. They also sell something called an orifice reducer. I don’t want to know….

My favorite overall spice is Simply Organic’s spice right garlic herb. Fabulous stuff.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

I lean towards a spice mix rather than several separate spice containers.  The containers for diabetic test strips make better canisters than 35mm film containers.  A bit smaller, the lid is on a retaining strap, you can flip it open with one hand, and the seal is pretty water tight.

For really small quantities, I’ve got some containers that replacement mechanical pencil leads come in.  About the volume of a 1-2 inch of soda straw, but resealable.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

I like to put my Italian seasonings + garlic powder in a “single portion” length of a McDonald’s plastic drink straw. Both ends are sealed with my vacuum sealer, for a shelf life of several years. Get to McD’s soon, and collect a lifetime supply, before these great straws go the way of the dodo bird.

David is right about the diabetic test strip vials. They are pretty darned waterproof, and they have a lining that acts like a desiccant to absorb moisture.

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama

I just use small aluminum foil pieces that I can fold with the spices inside.  They’re still fairly easy to open and re-fold closed. Light, cheap, simple.

My buddy did this this past weekend and it worked much better than I would have thought.  Unfold and tap.  The spice would sprinkle down and then fold it back up.  Easy to control and easy to seal.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Asian ketchup: Sweet Chili Sauce. You can get it in packets now. I probably could drink it with a straw. I don’t find it hot at all.

Tabasco, I prefer Chipolte.

Salsa.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools