Topic

Spectra Vs Dyneema Packs

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Spectra Vs Dyneema Packs

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Tipi Walter
    BPL Member

@tipiwalter

This has probably been covered before somewhere in the 1,300 pages of threads but . . .

I’m researching McHale packs and while he’s on vacation would like a better understanding of pack fabrics such a dyneema vs spectra.  And the different “Grid” fabrics.  Thanks.

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

I can’t answer all of your questions, but I can tell you that Spectra (from Honeywell) and Dyneema (from DSM) are brand names for strong polyethylene fibers. Spectra and Dyneema are not fabrics. Spectra and Dyneema fibers don’t differ from each other much. It has become conventional to refer to nylon fabrics with a small amount of Dyneema reinforcement as “Dyneema fabric.” These are the “grid” fabrics. I’m not familiar with every “grid” permutation on the market now. I don’t know any technical details about the pure polyethylene fabrics offered by McHale, CiloGear, and other pack companies. It was difficult to judge from your question how much you know already. Hopefully this input is helpful.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I think Dyneema and Spectra are trade names for the same fiber.

In dyneema grid, a popular fabric used by Golite, ULA, MLD, even McHale only the white threads are dyneema, the rest is regular nylon.

Full woven Dyneema or Spectra is almost always white  as it does not accept traditional dyes. It is very expensive and hard to work with.  It is only available as a custom option from a few pack makers like McHale, Cilogear, and HMG (most HMG packs are NOT woven Dyneema).

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Spectra is made by Honeywell; Dyneema is made by DSM.
    They are chemically the same material: Ultra-High Molecular Weight Polyethylene.
    There is a minor difference in fiber weight and rigidity between the two, based on the process: one is gel-spun, the other is extruded. But the differences are small.
    In general neither can be dyed, so they are white.

Cheers

Tipi Walter
    BPL Member

@tipiwalter

Wow, I knew you guys would come through.  I understand now that there are Dyneema/Spectra “grid” fabrics and full D/S woven fabrics.  Probably the reason full Spectra/D packs are so expensive.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Robert R
    BPL Member

@rob-r

Locale: North Texas

One thing for certain if you get a McHale’s it will most likely outlast you Tipi. You’re pretty good with your gear from what I’ve seen on TS.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Yes, McHale’s are exquisitely sewn and crafted and put all other “high end” gear I have seen to shame including the old made in the USA Osprey’s, MLD, ULA, and HMG.  I have a LBP36 in 210d Dyneema Grid and it is a work of art.  It has McHales simple suspension (so no bayonets or bypass system) and is about as simple as you can get other than two water bottle pockets (which are supurb) and hipbelt pockets.  Other than the initial expense, I couldn’t fault anyone for buying one.

On the other hand, my Seek Outside Pack carries weight better, is more comfortable (to me) and is lighter than the McHale, so it gets used a lot more.  I have no complaints about the construction quality on the Seek Outside at all, but will admit, as much as I like it, it doesn’t hold a candle in that realm to the McHale.  That isn’t a dig at Seek Outside, they are every bit as good as MLD, HMG, or ULA, but more a testament to McHale who creates works of art.

Newer Ursacks are also a full woven Specta if you have ever handled one of those you can get an idea of the material.

Tipi Walter
    BPL Member

@tipiwalter

Brad—Everything you said is like a pleasant gust of cool wind in my face.  And I like cold winds.  It looks like a McHale won’t be field-ready for several months and he’s on vacation currently.  And we’re entering prime peak backpacking season for me—Winter!  Hard to wait for a pack upgrade—one drawback to getting a McHale.  So maybe I’ve entered the world of Seek Outside.  There’s always my old beloved red Dana Terraplane in the corner.

Your post hits on both points—McHale and Seek Outside.  My love affair with Mystery Ranch has come to an end and so I’m ready to get serious about this wacky thing we call Backsackpackaging.  Pry the spectra out of my cold dead hands . . . or is it X42 fabric?

And Robert!

One thing for certain if you get a McHale’s it will most likely outlast you Tipi. You’re pretty good with your gear from what I’ve seen on TS.

I emailed the man recently and we’re almost ready to start something . . . serious.  I made a list of things I want and I know what you’re talking about—I’m too old for a McHale!  So on my list of considerations I wrote:  “Aging body . . . I’m getting smaller, my packs are getting bigger . . . shrinking body . . . . diminishing muscle mass . . . Sob.  What a waste of a good McHale . . .”

Robert R
    BPL Member

@rob-r

Locale: North Texas

Never too old!  @tipiwalter

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools