Topic

Spain, Granada, Sierra Nevada, Veleta peak

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Spain, Granada, Sierra Nevada, Veleta peak

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Iago Vazquez
    BPL Member

@iago

Locale: Boston & Galicia, Spain

First post… Scroll

Iago Vazquez
    BPL Member

@iago

Locale: Boston & Galicia, Spain

Currently showing extended family through Spain, I found myself in Granada yesterday. Part of the party was done for the day after our La Alhambra visit and we headed back to our hotel. Around 5 pm. My 17 year old nephew however wanted to check out the Sierra Nevada mountains he kept seeing in the background. So I suggested driving up to Veleta following the Ski Station and University roads to this point.

Hoya De La Mora
    18196 Monachil, Granada, Spain

https://goo.gl/maps/DoNjqK65Rky

From there it was either follow the switchback roads up for 15 Km or trek the 7 Km to the peak through footpaths. We choose the latter. I heard there’s some sort of shuttle, but the road is closed to normal traffic.

My nephew runs sporadically, but he wasn’t used to the incline characteristic of the footpath, so we followed the road for the last 1/3 (guesstimate). It took us almost three hours to make it up. From 6:10 pm when we left the parking lot to 9:05 pm. We lingered there for about 15 minutes snacking and enjoying the view, and then we hiked and jogged down using mostly paths until it got pitch black around 10:15 pm or so. We made it to the car at 10:45 pm, so it took us 1.5 hrs, but the last 1/2 hr was slow going.

A couple of years back I mostly stopped looking at the world through a lens, and I hardly take any pictures. Here are the few I took at this link.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/9MjytBFHjkAmdtTy9

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools