Topic

Space Blanket to extend range of under quilt?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Hammock Camping Space Blanket to extend range of under quilt?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Mark
    BPL Member

@drshane-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

Locale: Northwest Wyoming

I have a 30 degree under quilt that I want to push into the shoulder season. I was thinking of putting a mylar space blanket between my hammock and under quilt. Any thoughts or experience with this?

My other option is to order an under quilt protector for my Dream Hammock Sparrow.

Alice Hengst
    BPL Member

@moondust

Locale: Southern Sierras

My only experience with a space blanket was using it for an unexpected overnight at 13,000 feet in thankfully good weather, 11 years ago. It ripped very easily. I hope the newer ones hold up better.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I’ve never tried it, so take this with a few grains of Morton’s Lite salt. I once tried using a close-cell foam pad instead of an underquilt, and woke up with my feet/calves all wet because the pad doesn’t breathe. I’m a warm sleeper, so no doubt that contributed. I think the same would have happened if I tried what you’re suggesting, but that may not apply to you. I’d probably want something breathable, and I don’t think space blankets are since I assume they work on the VBL principle (though, obviously, I could be wrong about that too).

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

space blankets aren’t breathable

in order for a reflective layer to work, there has to be an air space next to it

for example, if you put a space blanket on top of you, there’s an air space above, so it works

in a neoair mattress, the reflective layer is suspended inside the mattress so there’s an air layer on both sides of the reflective layer so it’s twice as effective

if you put a space blanket on top of you, and put a blanket on top of that, there’s no air layer next to the reflective layer so it isn’t very effective.  Maybe there will be some wrinkles so there will be a little bit of air space

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

I wouldn’t use it.  What temps are we talking here? A 30° under quilt would get me to about 25° .. I would layer more clothing to sleep in.. What’s your top quilt rated for? From what I hear, the under quilt protector can give you an extra 5 degrees warmth or so but I have never felt the need for one. Honestly, you may have to play around and experiment and see what works best for you.

Mark
    BPL Member

@drshane-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

Locale: Northwest Wyoming

Thank you all for your input. I can see now why the space blanket idea will not work.

I am talking about temps in the high 20s to low 30s.

My top quilt is rated at 20 degrees. I tend to be a cold sleeper. I will have extra clothes for the cold night temps so I hope that makes the difference.

I have also learned that I need to pay more careful attention to my UQ suspension to get the best performance.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools