Topic

Southwest US Winter Trip Ideas

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Southwest US Winter Trip Ideas

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Kevin R
    BPL Member

@kevinr

My friend and I took a great trip last year over winter break to AZ/UT, where we hit up the Grand Canyon, Escalante, Bryce, and Zion. Weather was great (cold but not too cold), flights were cheap (DC to Las Vegas), and driving was reasonable.  We’d like to do a similar length trip (~1.5 weeks) this year, and are looking for some ideas.  What we’re looking for:

-Somewhere with cheap flights from the East coast (open to going outside the SW- even out of country if affordable)

-Moderate climate (i.e. we’re not looking for sub zero temps in South Dakota)

-Some variety (last year’s trip we spent about 2 days in each location and it provided a nice smorgasbord of scenery. We have a bit more time this year but would like to do some hopping around again for variety)

I’ve spent a fair amount of time around New Mexico over the past few years and wouldn’t mind going deeper into the landscape there. We’re both Catholic seminarians, so we’re also interested in exploring some of the old mission churches and cultural sites around there.  Arizona sounds great. I’ve been to Death Valley and enjoyed it, but not sure if there is enough variety to hop around for a week and a half. South America would be pretty neat too.

Anyways, if you have some ideas, we’d certainly appreciate them!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools