Topic

southern UT – 8 days in the backcountry. Where to go?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning southern UT – 8 days in the backcountry. Where to go?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

I’m trying to plan a longer trip for the spring (to help get me through my trip-less 2016) and the first things that came to mind were Bryce and Zion.

Some of the searches here have me questioning Bryce at all – what I’d like is 8 or so relatively uninterrupted days in the backcountry.  It’s a slow-ish group, so maybe 10 -12 miles/day total.  let’s say 80-100 miles tops.

HELP!

jimmyjam
    BPL Member

@jimmyjam

Locale: Mid Atlantic

There are trails leading out of Bryce Canyon that would make for a great trip. Also you might want to look at the Cedar Mesa area- Kane Gulch etc. I love Utah, so scenic and beautiful.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

i should also mention that we are looking at the last week in March to go (March 27-April 2).

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

Escalante has some great options.  We did Coyote Gulch recently and loved it.  I think you could easily extend that trip upstream to Fence Canyon or downstream.  Great side day trips into Spooky and Peek-a-boo canyons too.  I give that area 5 stars.

Buckskin Gulch and Paria River canyon is really nice too.  i just did a day trip there but the deep narrow canyon was spectacular.

Lots of people rally like Canyonlands but I have never been.

I liked both Bryce and Zion.  But they are more crowded and are maybe better suited for day hikes.

George F
    BPL Member

@gfraizer13

Locale: Wasatch

Check out “Canyoneering: The San Rafael Swell” by Steve Allen. Non technical multi day trips in a lesser known and beautiful area. New and used from 2.99 on Amazon.

Chris Hyatt
    BPL Member

@cvhyattgmail-com

I did the trans-zion trek in 2015.  Pretty scenic and covers a lot of the national park.  There are some long stretches without water so plan accordingly.  More info here:  http://www.citrusmilo.com/zionguide/transziontrek.cfm

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

These are all great, thanks!  any other guidebook suggestions?

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

Escalante is a real gem. Rudi Lambrechts – Hiking the Escalante

jimmyjam
    BPL Member

@jimmyjam

Locale: Mid Atlantic

Some books I have:

Wow Guides Utah Canyon Country by Kathy & Craig Copeland, Falcon Guides Hiking Utah, Utah’s Incredible Backcountry Trails by David day, Falcon Guide Hiking Ruins Seldom Seen.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools