Topic

SOUTHERN JMT (VERMILLION RESORT to MT. WHITNEY) AUGUST 2019

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips SOUTHERN JMT (VERMILLION RESORT to MT. WHITNEY) AUGUST 2019

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    John Schutzman
    BPL Member

@jjoschutz

I am an active backpacking 61 year old male looking to to organize a group of 3-4 to hike the Southern JMT in August of 2019.  I am a physician and need to schedule vacation a year in advance.  Looking to do the 120 miles over approximately 2 weeks.  I did the Northern JMT from Vermillion Resort to Yosemite in 2016. Looking to do 10-12 miles per day.  Let me know if interested.   John Schutzman

Steven McDowell
    BPL Member

@smcdindelmar

Locale: San Diego

Hi John,

I am interested.

As background; 59 yrs old. Sorta retired. Live in Del Mar, CA.

My schedule is pretty flexible. Will turn 60 on August 11. That specific day probably won’t work.

Did several 50 milers/ Sierra treks with Scouts prior to 2016.

2018 so far Grand Canyon; Grandview to New Hance, 3 days ~25 miles, LostCoast 3 day 25 miler,

2017 Whitney, Portal back and forth one day and Rake Lakes Loop, 3 days, I think 28.

Stay fit primarily through playing pickup.

Steven McDowell

John Schutzman
    BPL Member

@jjoschutz

Thanks for your interest. I will be checking on earliest time to submit for a JMT permit.
    <div>For 2016 & 2017 it was a year in advance entering at Vermillion Resort.</div>
    <div>Thanks, John</div>

John Schutzman
    BPL Member

@jjoschutz

http://Highsierratrails.com

Concerning permit information

John Schutzman
    BPL Member

@jjoschutz

My two week vacation slot for hiking the southern JMT will be August 17-September 1 2019.

Steven McDowell
    BPL Member

@smcdindelmar

Replied earlier, I am still game since those dates should work for me.

If you want to do a shorter hike before to see if we work well together my direct email address is [email protected].

John Schutzman
    BPL Member

@jjoschutz

Thanks for the reply Steven. I think there are a number of reasons for not hiking alone. I think the most important at our age is safety. Second, I really enjoy the comradery which occurs in camp and along the trail. Saying that, I think every hiker has his own stride and “hikes his own hike”.  I have found over years of hiking, that I average 1.5 miles per hour in the mountains. I am a good climber but slower and steady coming down trying to avoid injury. I love weight training with Squats and I do high intensity interval training with a stationary bike. I did the northern JMT (Vermillion Resort to Yosemite Valley 2016) in 2016. It sounds like both of us know the area. I am afraid my vacation schedule will not allow a “pre-hike”, but we will be communicating a lot prior to the hike. Another guy I have hiked with on a tough part of the Appalachian Trail has committed also. 3 hikers is a good group size for safety. Looking  forward to speaking with you. John

For some reason the email you listed is not going through.  John

Steven McDowell
    BPL Member

@smcdindelmar

Hi John,

email address is;

[email protected]

If not that one, try

[email protected]

Thanks for the follow up email and more specifics on the dates.

Steven

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools