Topic

Southern AZT conditions in January

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Southern AZT conditions in January

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    John Smith
    BPL Member

@jcar3305

Locale: East of Cascades

Due to work, I missed my PCT section hike and am looking at going hiking the AZT (border to Oracle, maybe the Gila river) in mid to late January .

What are typical trail conditions then?

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

The nearby Superstitions (east of the Phoenix area) are great in January as the lower elevations can be too hot even in March, … but the higher elevations can require 3+ season gear.  The AZT goes right thru the Superstitions’ Reavis Ranch area, iirc, where I’ve done some hikes.  Some of the peaks can get snow due to elevation, not latitude, like the mountain part of the Chiricahua wilderness (south of I-10 near the state line).  Remember there’s a downhill ski area on the top of the mountains overlooking Tucson and just below the AZT in Sagouro NP (East), I had a snowy campsite with thigh deep snow post-holing even higher.  Then again it could just be chilly and dry ..  Likely be hiking the area enroute to Xmas so I’ll update this.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Not mine but here’s a picture from Mt Lemmon above Tucson where the AZT goes over the mountains today

Source: https://m.imgur.com/gallery/tkaceNX

Also saw some snowy tents this Thanksgiving via the AZT in the same area.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools