Topic

Sourcing DCF materials

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Sourcing DCF materials

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Brook / MtGL
    BPL Member

@brookqwr

Since Zpacks stopped selling DCF materials from the end of last year, I guess most of the DIYers turned to RPBR to buy cuben fiber. It seemed to me that now the DCF supply is unstable. Almost all the DCF types on RPBR are marked “Out of Stock”.

I asked Kyle a few times, and RPBR said for them, it’s also a bit game of waiting. ExtremeTextile in Europe is another option, but it’s much more expensive. Does anyone know possibly some other places to get DCF rather than talking directly to Dyneema?

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

Dutchware also sells it. I haven’t checked to see if they have stock currently though.

Ryan

DAVE DREHER
    Spectator

@youngtrout

Dutchware has not had any in stock for quite awhile.  I’ve only been plating with Dyneema for about 6 months, but don’t think DW has had any during that time.   RSBTR seems about the only reliable place, but they are also now out of stock.

DAVE DREHER
    Spectator

@youngtrout

Sorry for the second post.  But I also contacted Dyneema or DP a couple times via email about roll pricing, etc.  I never got a response.     The XPac Ultra-Light Lite Skin X-Pac. WT/SQ YD = 3.4 oz. from Quest has a pretty similar feel to the 2.92oz stuff,,,,,and it’s actually available and less than half the cost.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

“Dutchware has not had any in stock for quite awhile.  I’ve only been plating with Dyneema for about 6 months, but don’t think DW has had any during that time.”

Dutchware has over 700 yards of .51oz in stock according to their website. Double check me on that though in case I’m crazy.

Ryan

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

Locale: Midwest

Dutch just got it back in stock last week.

@youngtrout
    , just an FYI that Dimension Polyants (DP) doesn’t make DCF, they’re entirely different companies.

DAVE DREHER
    Spectator

@youngtrout

Fantastic!  Thanks for the clarifications above folks.  I have been more interested in the 2.92 product line, missed the .51 stuff.   Looks like DW updated their website too??.    In any case, yes, they certainly have plugged the .51 hole!      My tarp project will go to the front of the line.

Brook / MtGL
    BPL Member

@brookqwr

I’m also in desperate need of 2.92.. but could not get any.

RPBR has the new 5.0 oz DCF (150D Hybrid) on the shelf a few weeks ago.. and according to my observation, it was sold out in less than 2 weeks. Crazy.

Nathan Meyerson
    BPL Member

@nathanmeyerson

Locale: Southwest

I have four yards of unused green colored 2.92 oz DCF Hybrid I ‘m happy to sell @ $44/yd +shipping

I’ll ship free if you buy it all.

Kyle Baker
    Spectator

@kcbaker-2

Hi Brook. This is Kyle owner/founder at RBTR. Wanted to give you and everyone a heads up that we have two production lots coming in for DCF early this coming week.

That being said, we have several hundred people on a wait list to be notified as soon as this yardage goes live on the site. If you haven’t already, I would suggest signing up for the waitlist on each SKU you’re looking to pick up. This way you’ll know the moment this hits the site. Some SKUs are still going to be in short supply until our next lot comes out in 2-3 weeks.

Here’s the rundown of what should be up early this week:

0.34 oz – Clear

0.51 oz – Olive Drab

0.8 oz – Clear

1.0 oz – Black

1.43 oz – Clear, Blue, Olive Drab, Olive

2.92 oz Hybrid – Olive Drab, Blue, Black

5.0 oz Hybrid – Black, White

Various repair and adhesive tapes, etc

I’m going to make a follow-up post on Monday to provide everyone with some insight into the current DCF situation and details on how things should move going forward. I think some things will make more sense after that post. Sorry for the extended delay and temporary short supply.

If we can help with anything, don’t hesitate to reach out to our customer support. Thanks!

Brook / MtGL
    BPL Member

@brookqwr

Hi, Kyle. Thanks for the update! I’m also interested in “insight into the current DCF situation and details on how things should move going forward”. ;-)

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Check out the podcast02.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools