Topic

Sources for lightest (7d, 10d 15d) waterproof silnylons.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Sources for lightest (7d, 10d 15d) waterproof silnylons.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

I’m aware of the Rockywoods 7d silnylon, but the only colors they offer is grey and black. RSBTR and Dutchware have 15d silpolys, however, no silnylons under 20d. I suppose the manufacturers who use waterproof 7d – 15d silnylons (such as EE with their new 7d tarps) must source from China. Any ideas? Thanks.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Monte,
    When the 7-15D coated nylons first came out, I searched for 15D tarps that I could harvest the materials from. Sea-to-Summit had an Escapist tarp in several colors, and Terra Nova had one of similar weight (1.0-1.1 osy). The StoS was sil coated on one side and PU coated on the other, but the TN was more a classic silnylon, with the clearcoat look on both sides.
    I sent samples to Richard Nisley, who tested them and posted the results on BPL. Sorry I don’t have links, but they should be accessible through BPL search. Both materials tested in the 3K HH range before simulated aging, and above 1.5K HH after simulated aging; so are superior to what comes on many commercially produced tents.

There were also some 20D silnylons from Extrem Textil in Germany that tested well with Richard and were almost as light. ET has a high turnover in materials, so don’t know quite what they have to offer right now.

I like the StoS material, because the PU coat on one side makes it easier for me to bond reinforcement patches to corners and other stressed areas without having to do stitching through one layer away from the hems on the body of the fabric. Also, the tarps were available in a pale green that I preferred to dark colors. Although, the gray 7D from Rockywoods is so thin, plenty of light comes through it. Also, if used for a floor, the StoS has the PU coated side that can face up and not be as slippery as sil. Also, it tested better in sag tests, probably due to the PU coat.

If you are not able to locate Richard’s test results, please post, and I will try to find and put together the links and put them on this thread.

Beware of very light silnylons that Richard has tested and posted about, and do not come even close to being WP. Giving the sellers the benefit of the doubt, they take the word of the suppliers and do not do their own testing, although I think RBTR is now posting accurate HH figures based on Richard’s more recent tests.

Using nylons this light is fairly recent, so how well they will hold up is not entirely clear. I plan to use the 15D StoS for the floor and walls of a tent, and RW 7D for the small fly covering the roof where it may not incur as much abrasion. The roof is a smaller area, so if the 7D does not hold up, it can be easily replaced with the 15D, or replaced anyway for 4 season use. Not a gambling man, but for MYOG hedging bets seems to work best.

Lance
    Spectator

@geaulite-2

RSBTR does have 15D 10D and 7D materials. Not sure if they are the exact ones used for EE gear, however the colors do seem to be similar.

https://ripstopbytheroll.com/collections/breathable-nylon-fabric/products/0-56-oz-membrane-7-ripstop-nylon

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Thanks for the post Sam. I’ve actually thought about doing what you described, buying discounted 7d – 15d tarps and then cannibalizing them for the material.  I never see S2S products for any less than 20%  off though.

I guess since most mainstream shelters manufacturers who use 7d – 15 d have their gear made in China, then it follows that they source their materials there as well. Not sure, but I think even the GG One and Two are made in Asia. EE is the only American made 7d – 15d tarp or tent I’m aware  of. Have to just assume EE gets their material from China. Last years Outdoor Gear Show had a lot of new uberlight silnylon shelters on display (wasn’t there, saw pics and read reports) Interest in the lightest silnylons seems lukewarm at best on BPL though.

Lance, I appreciate the post, but the materials you linked aren’t waterproof. .

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Monte,
    I feel your pain. $200 USD (from Boulder CO) is a bit much for a 10′ sq tarp. It does appear to be the same 15D with Sil/PU coats, but the HH is rated 1500 mm. But I think it was the same before, and Richard’s tests showed much better. Still, a lot to pay. Bought a couple several years ago for much less from Integral Designs’ US retailer, which I think was going out of business.

Terra Nova is also 15D and about 130 pounds sterling for slightly larger than the StoS. Comes only in dark green, but has a higher HH, and appears to be all silcoat.
    https://www.terra-nova.co.uk/tarps-bivis-bothies/all-tarps/competition-tarp-2/

The 20D Extrem Textil has a 2000mm HH rating (before Richard’s simulated aging), weighs under 1.1 osy, and in addition to darker colors, comes in a lighter sand color.
    https://www.extremtextil.de/en/ripstop-nylon-tentfabric-silicone-coated-20den-36g-sqm.html?number=70777.SAND
    That might be your best bet, especially price-wise. It is probably the same 20D material they’ve had for some time, so Richard’s tests reported on BPL might be helpful. A number of BPL members from Europe have posted about tents made from Extrem Textil nylons, and had no complaints.

Should you find more sources, please let us know on this thread. Thanks.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

Our 7D sil/pu riostop nylon is not made in China

-Tim Marshall

Founder; Enlightened Equipment

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Thanks for setting me straight on that Tim, I guess I shouldn’t have made assumptions about where you source your materials, at least on a public forum. I don’t know anything about the quality of Chinese silnylons, so I hope I didn’t hit a nerve, sorry. Anyway,I don’t suppose you could guide me toward a source of uberlight silnylons in the US (besides Rockywoods).

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

No nerve, no worries. Like most specialty fabrics we have to buy them from Asia. We buy nylons from Japan, South Korea and China. Our 15d for stuff sacks and bury floors is from China and tests over 3000mm weighing 1.05oz, the 7d sil pu weighs .95oz and tests over 10000mm and comes of out South Korea.  It was supposed to be lighter and has me considering using 15d for all products for a tiny weight penalty but likely some reduced cost on products 5hat currently use 7d

-Tim

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Yea Tim, I really like the 15d stuffsack material that came with my Revelation Apex.

Rockywoods says regarding their 7d silnylon “we can make your custom color in dye lots as small as 1500 yards.”  I guess the price would be a lot higher than buying direct from Asia. Too bad because their 7d is .80 oz on my scale. I love it.

I believe if you offered a smaller trapezoid tarp 9′ long, 6′ wide (head), 5′ wide (foot), it would be well received. Also, an olive green color would be popular, especially with European buyers.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Monte,

the Rockywoods stuff is from Asia too, not China. There is very little specialty ultralight fabric that does not come from Asia.

Mohr Rival tarp is very similar to what you’ve described but bigger at 10/7/5

https://enlightenedequipment.com/rival-custom/

-Tim

fred L
    Spectator

@fredl

Hey,

So I’m not sure if you meant you were only interested in US vendors or not.

This 15 D silnylon is out of china with free international shipping.

I have used it. I sewed it with a full flat felled seam and so far I have had no issues with the integrity in the fabric on the tarps I made . The documentation could be better. Luckily this seller responds to messages.

I have followed this seller for a few years, All their currently posted fabrics have been on their store for several years by now. They have a wierd habit of taking the listings down every 6 or so months and reposting the same ones, which deletes the reviews and sell counts. Makes no sense, This fabric used to have plenty of good reviews.

Cheers!

fred L
    Spectator

@fredl

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools