Topic

Source for dense/stiff 1/8” closed cell foam?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Source for dense/stiff 1/8” closed cell foam?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Chris L
    BPL Member

@thechrislundy

Locale: Idaho

I’m looking for some dense/stiffish 1/8” closed cell foam for a backpack project. It’ll be used for shoulder straps, waist belt, and back panel. For my last project, I bought foam from Gossamer Gear but it was very soft and offered little structure.

I could go as thick as 1/4” if I have to but not 3/8”.

Thanks!

William Kerber
    BPL Member

@wkerber

Locale: South East US

This is what I bought. Shipping is almost as as much as the cost of the foam, but a 30×72 sheet will do a lot of DIY projects for around $20+. I haven’t had a chance to use it yet. Maybe others can chime in on a tried and true source. This might not be stiff enough for you.

https://foamforyou.com/2lbs-minicell-foam.html

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

Have you considered harvesting it out of other backpacks? My local thrift shops have bins full of backpacks, purses, computer bags etc.

nunatak
    BPL Member

@roamer

Stiffness of foam is often linked to its density, which is defined by a pound weight. For instance the link a couple of posts above shows a 2 lbs foam, which is the typical soft stuff used in most manufacturer’s belts and shoulder straps, ie not stiff at all.

For any real change in stiffness one needs to go to 6 lbs and beyond. Like this

While it says ‘super high density’ in the auction title it is really just moderately stiff, but I still found it very useful for dual density hip belts and such.

I have ordered 12 lbs density 1/8″ foam from a company called Flex Tech (which btw is also one of the few placed I have been able to source true EvaZote), and that weight class is really stiff.

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaron_p

Locale: California

Recycling foam (and fabric, and hardware) is a good idea.   I was also going to say auto upholstery foam.  I have some similar stuff, also found on ebay.  But it makes me wonder if you could harvest large quantities of it from a junk yard.

Chris L
    BPL Member

@thechrislundy

Locale: Idaho

Thanks for the responses everyone. It’s helpful to understand the different weights so I know what to look for.

My last pack project I was able to pilfer a plastic frame sheet from an old pack but I’m out of old packs now. Good idea to check the thrift store.

Les Waddel
    BPL Member

@tridrles49

Locale: Central Cali

1/4 inch is what I use on my packs, belt and shoulder straps.  this is a small company by good service.

https://www.therainshed.com/module/search_content.htm?form_version=2&showSearchResults=1&search_keyword=foam&image=Search

Les

Iago Vazquez
    BPL Member

@iago

Locale: Boston & Galicia, Spain

I have used this company in the past. Happy with their service.

https://www.foambymail.com/

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools