Topic

source for 10mm tent pole?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) source for 10mm tent pole?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Paul S
    BPL Member

@pula58

We want to increase the strength of the poles in one of our tents (Exped Venus 2 UL) by replacing two DAC 9mm poles with a pair of 10mm poles. Having trouble finding anyone who can make us these poles. I tried “Tentpole Technologies” but no luck. They have only 9mm, 9.65mm and next one up is 11mm.

We may just settle for 9.65mm for some strength improvement, but it would be nice to get 10mm. Any suggestions?

Of course, I am assuming that a pole with a larger diameter would flex less in the wind.

DWR D
    BPL Member

@dwr-2

Quality of materials may be more important to strength than the small diameter differences you are looking at.

Bill in Roswell
    BPL Member

@roadscrape88-2

Locale: Roswell, GA, USA

Tentpole Techbologies. Will build to your specs

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

There are a LOT of different tent pole manufacturers. many NOT in the USA. But DWR D is correct. There is a lot more to small diameter poles than size. Temper, sidewall thickness, joinery, are a LOT more important.

Paul S
    BPL Member

@pula58

Hi Bill in Roswell,

Like I said, I talked to Tentpole Technology, they can’t do a 10mm pole (they don’t stock that size).

As some have suggested here (and thank you) maybe I can ask them about a stronger pole, not necessarily a wider pole.

Matthew S
    BPL Member

@battlerattle

Hilleberg sells 10mm poles (DAC Korean poles.) Any fit the size you need?

Ivo Vanmontfort
    BPL Member

@ivo

In Europe we have delivery problems for tent poles. https://www.extremtextil.de/en/tent-poles.html I also had to buy Hilleberg poles (DAC) for a project and then tailor them. It is a much more expensive option. Note that some poles are pre-bent when purchasing finished poles from a particular type of tent. https://hilleberg.com/eng/tent/tent-accessories/

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Yep, Tentpole Technologies has made me poles to my specs. Good company.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

As Matthew S stated, Hilleberg sells DAC 10mm Featherlite NSL poles in a number of lengths (cm).  But you’d probably have to trim them to size.  Or you might PM Matthew, or call TPT and see if they would take them and cut to suit.  They’re in “accessories” on the Hilleberg site (scroll down).  https://hilleberg.com/eng/tent/tent-accessories 

On the Exped site, under poles for Exped Venus 2UL, they list two DAC NSL poles, a 9mm and a 10.25mm, but it doesn’t state if that is a choice, or if there are two different diameter poles for the same tent:  https://www.exped.com/italy/en/product-category/tents/venus-ii-ul 

It could be a choice, in which case you could order the 10..25mm, and be set.

Buona Fortuna!

Paul S
    BPL Member

@pula58

Hi Sam, the two poles that run lengthwise are 9mm, the cross pole (at top of tent) is 10.25mm.

Hilleberg 10mm might work with cutting – I have to measure the Venus poles and see if and Hilleberg sets are a little longer (and I could maybe cut to size, add proper end tips (that fit into grommets, etc)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools