Topic

SoSHR

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning SoSHR

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Mike Whitesell
    BPL Member

@embracestardumb

Locale: California

Is anyone doing the Southern Sierra High Route this year? If my plans fall through for going to Colorado to climb 14’ers this is something I’ve been researching. I don’t have much experience on off-trail routes but know how to use a compass, map, and use gps. How feasible is it to do? Hiked the JMT last year in 12 days and I know off-route is a whole other beast,

Don Burton
    Spectator

@surfcam310

Locale: City of Angels

Hey Mike

If you don’t do it this year or want to do it again next year then let’s talk because I definitely plans on hiking it next year. I have some off trail experience and slightly acceptable navigation skills. I’m continuing to work on them though especially getting better at reading the topo.  I live near Manhattan Beach so feel free to reach out if you’re looking for someone to hike with.

Mike Whitesell
    BPL Member

@embracestardumb

Sounds good.

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

this is very much a late season trip for 2017, unless you like cross country snow travel.

this trip is very feasible if you’re not trying for a speedy time. we did part of it last summer before being forced onto the JMT/PCT to finish our trip due to daily mountain lightning storms. simple map and compass skills are all you need. we did not use GPS.

Mike Whitesell
    BPL Member

@embracestardumb

Would be the last week of August into the first week of September. Last year I started the JMT from HI August 28 and finished September 10. Perfect weather the whole time. I understand this year is a higher than last year snow year and am perfectly comfortable with cross country snow travel.

Don Burton
    Spectator

@surfcam310

Locale: City of Angels

PM sent.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools