Topic

SoSHR advice

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning SoSHR advice

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Cameron M
    BPL Member

@cameronm-aka-backstroke

Locale: Los Angeles

I am desperately trying to leave town (aren’t we all) and am considering which High Route sections to do in September and October. The SoSHR sounds like fun. Alan Dixon did it in 5 1/2 days, so I wonder if 10-11 days is feasible for normal humans like me. I am comfortable with carrying an Expedition with 11 days of food. Any perspectives on time I should allow, or anything else that people have learned about this particular route? Variations? Yes, I will avoid Acrodectes Peak. It looks like there are two fun off-trail parts at either end with perhaps too much JMT in the middle, which suggests turning the two ends into loops instead of stringing it all together as one trip. I wonder if starting at Kearsarge going south wouldn’t be the sweet spot of this route.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

I think its real doable in 10-11 days.  We did a variation that started on the Big Pine Creek (extra mileage) and the on to South Lake.  We also got off at Whitney (less mileage).  We were going really slow and did it in 10 days.  Highlights for us were Lake Tulainyo and the mountaineers route.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools