Topic

Something epic-ish in July?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Something epic-ish in July?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Sebastian O
    BPL Member

@loboseb

hello friends.

I live in Atlanta. In July I have about 10-12 days to go somewhere but its not a full vacay. I will have to work some remotely so I wanna combo —during work weekdays, some either big city or small town hopping adventure (think Ireland) and on two weekends which may be Thu-Sun or Monday morning do something kind of epic. Im looking for your basic suggestions (US, Alaska, Canada, Greenland?) (I already had another post on Canada).

Im itching for mind blowing landscapes.

Too hot in July to do national parks in Utah or Death Valley?

Mt Whitney…..I was thinking maybe wait do this as a winter alpine thing?

Bike from point A to point B (rent bike)….?

Grand Canyon, Yosemite, Mt Shasta….so many choices.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Any place in the High Sierra. Sequioa, Kings Canyon, Ansel Adams Wilderness, something that goes over 10,000 feet a lot. If you don’t have any experience in the sierras that would be the most epic place you can go in my opinion. Yosemite gets crowded and they require bear cans, keep that in mind.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Trump Election Rally?
    Bound to be ‘epic’.

Cheers

Peter Bakwin
    BPL Member

@pbakwin

Definitely too hot in Utah nat’l parks (Canyonlands, Arches, Zion), the Grand Canyon and of course Death Valley. No deserts in July!

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

If you need/ have  to work remotely, but still want something ah “epic” that is accessible (I have my thoughts on that subject ;) ), the Colorado area is your best bet.

Infrastructure to work remotely very easy. Major airport to get in-and-out of. Plenty of options close by. Small towns to check out.

Down side? The mountains are busy here compared to the say more remote places. But if you are essentially a weekend warrior remotely for two weeks, it works well (Said the weekend warrior who works here 52 weeks of the year minus vacations and holidays. :) )

Denver area is the obvious choice. But Durango could work for similar reasons. Arguably the San Juans are the best range in Colorado, too.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Jackson Hole Wyoming is expensive to stay in but the adventures around there are amazing. You could raft, climb or hike to your heart’s content and do a side trip to Yellowstone. If you could car camp you could commute into town and get internet at a Starbucks or McDonalds then go watch bison for the evening while the sun sets on the Tetons. There would not be much of a “city” adventure there since its a small town but probably some interesting restaurants or bars to check out (I’m guessing because all I ever do is eat cheap fast food between trips there).

Kris Sherwood
    BPL Member

@tuskadero

Locale: Washington State

I suggest looking at the Idaho Sawtooths or White Clouds. Beautiful, epic, relatively less crowded and relative ease to get there from Boise.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools