Topic

Some thoughts on gear used

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Some thoughts on gear used

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Over the years I have gone through many different pieces of gear.. Can you believe that?? Anyway, I am at the point where everything is basically dialed in for my needs.. 4 seasons, NY, NJ and PA.  Of course I still love trying new things here and there and I will not hesitate to try something different if I think it will benefit me some where some how on the trail or in camp. Here I am, I just returned from my short thru hike (59.2 miles) of the Loyalsock trail in PA and I am going over everything in my head.. Over and over , aaaannnd over and yup, over and over. So I figured I would write it down so I can actually see some of my thoughts and maybe clear my head of this chaos.. My thoughts on the gear that I used/carried on this trip.. and since I spend a vast majority of my days lurking on backpacking light, I figured I would write it (post) it on here and maybe someone, anyone will read it and get something out of it. Maybe, Maybe not. Or it could just be entertaining hogwash for some to read and thrown into Chafe, I dunno. I say gear that I used/carried because I usually, 95% of the time, use EVERYTHING I pack and carry. Heck, if I am carrying it I better use it. This particular trip I did pack 1 item that I did not use at all and I was a little ticked off that I kept seeing it and had no use for it.. my 1L hydrapak Flux soft water bladder. No biggie I guess.. But after hiking a 14 mile day, then a 20 mile day then a 17 mile day.. Ugh..I was beat and tired and that was getting me ticked, lol. On that note.. Here goes my list and thoughts..

Gossamer Gear G4-20 pack. – I removed the hip belt because I have no use for it, I also use GG Bumster, so no need for hip belts on pack and I swapped out the back pad with a GG 1/8 thin light pad. Duh.. Yes I used the pack! I actually will say I loved the pack. I use Mariposa in winter and I also have/use hyperlight, Kumo 36 and minimalist day pack. This is my 2nd trip using the G4-20 and the longest consecutive mileage with it. I will definitely keep using this for my 3 seasons trips when a little extra is needed. It now weighs just about the same as my Kumo and holds a little more (Food for extended trips) and is more comfortable on my shoulders. I like it a lot!

Gossamer Gear Bumster. – great fanny pack! Works for me since I removed hip belt from my packs. Plenty of room in there.. Small emergency fire starter kit, pocket bellows (just because), small knife, nite core headlamp, cell phone (galaxy 20+ note) small snack, whistle.

Sleep system. – I will group this all together and keep it simple and short. 30° Hammock Gear 900 premium short under quilt ( LOVE IT), Enlightened Equipment 20° regular length Enigma ( LOVE IT), Dutchware Chameleon Hammock with bugnet and mesh side car (LOVE IT), Spider poly 8ft tree straps with sewn dutch clips and beetle buckle straps (PERFECTION), Hammock Gear DCF Winter Palace tarp with Dutch Stingerz (ITS HUGE).. So I carried this monster because my son carried/used the DCF standard with doors and I was going to use my other standard size without doors but there was wind and rain forecast for 2 nights and rain forecast for 1 day throughout the day heavy at times. Hey man, I packed my fears!! Last minute I ditched the smaller/lighter tarp for the bigger/heavier one figuring it will protect me more at night with wind and rain ( which did not happen) it rained the 2nd night all night but not windy and my standard tarp without doors would have been just fine!! The main reason I packed it was for the rainy day.. figuring we could stop and eat lunch under it to keep some sanity from the rain (which also did not happen). No rain at all during any day. Oh well.. My bad.. I still used it on the rainy night.. I do not pitch it when no rain or snow forecast, just leave it hung in its snakeskin.

Helinox Ground Zero chair. – This is great. Sometimes I debate bringing it. I usually do carry it and 95% of the time I use it. Its a love/hate relationship. Its so low to ground, i hate when i have to get in it, except that i know whats coming, and once I am in it and kicked back.. I am soooo happy and I LOVE it,  BUT,  when I have to get up??? I hate that little chair. I love that little chair when I am eating my dinner (or Lunch) and I also love that little chair when I am near a cozy camp fire and I love it when everything is soaking wet or snow, BUT, I hate that it weighs 1 pound!! it packs perfectly in large side pocket of Mariposa and G4-20 even in my Kumo.. Or I have stuffed it in outside mesh pocket, so I love that it packs fairly compact. I use a sil poly stuff sack custom made from Simply Light Designs but I am considering not using a stuff sack for it, really not needed and its just another piece of gear to keep track of its location when not being used!

Katadyn Be-Free water filter 1L. – I like this. Having many fights with my Sawyer and Sawyer mini, the Be-Free has stepped up big time for me. I did have an issue, in the past, like many others, where the flow decided to torture me and act like a Sawyer. I read somewhere (probably here) to soak the filter overnight before A trip and it will work fine. So I have been doing this and it has been working. Except this time!!! Good thing my son had his.. Because mine was back to Sawyer mode slow flow! I was still using it while he used his, just to speed up our water stops..and finally on last day the flow picked up, lol. I did everything.. Shake it to unclog.. Clean it.. Dance with it, plead and speak softly to it, yell and curse at it.. I have 3 of them and I believe this is the one that originally failed me and spurred me to purchase the 3rd one.. So now I marked it and will not be carrying this specific one anymore.. And lets see how the other 2 hold up. Been using the Be-Frees for a long time now, backpacking and kayaking so I do have faith!

Hydrapak Flux 1L. – WTH.. I love it.. Compact and works with my Be-Free. Stands on its own even when empty. Easy to fill and has a little handle to hold when filling. I did not use or need it though on this trip! My 1L Smartwater bottle and the 1L Be-Free bladder were plenty. And I kept seeing it in the back of my pack.. Taunting me.. Laughing at me.. Laying around empty. That’s all I have to say about it.

Ursack Major. – I LOVE IT!! Say what you want.. Let the debate begin!!! For me, where I hike, it is wonderful and a pleasure to carry and use all seasons. You will not change my mind.. I am so over bear bag and hang PCT style, it so MC Hammer for me. No stress, no time.. and it works here. I will say, it rained overnight and the dang bag did get wet and that was a little annoying but we dealt with it and figured the added weight made up for the missing weight of 2 days worth of food that we ate. I have been using Ursack for a few years now (again) and I am ok with that issue. I say again because I used to use it, then while cutting weight I switched to bear bag/hang.. But after a few years of fighting, arguing, cursing, dodging punches to the face and frustration, ( yes I am married but that’s not what I’m referring too), I went back to Ursack Major and have been a happy cheerful camper again and won’t look back!

First Aid kit. – Its small and minimal and I did not use it, but I always carry it. Not going into details about what’s in it..

Duece of Spades. – my 2nd time carrying it and I use it. Decided its easier then using a stick it doesn’t weigh much and packs with my TP. Its a little pleasure and fun to use. Who doesn’t like digging holes??

Trail Designs 600 ml Ti-Tri Sidewinder. – I will rant and rave about this everytime anytime. This may be my all time favorite piece of gear. I can take A hundred pictures of this set up and even more videos of it. I boil water and I LOVE IT and I have so much fun doing it every time!!! Inferno, Alcohol, Esbit? You name it, this does it. I prefer Esbit and Inferno every time. I have used this stove in all 4 seasons.. Down to wind and O° F and it HAS NEVER failed me or let me down. I will say if I think I will need to melt snow then the MSR Wind burner or Reactor will be in my pack. I have also been known to use my Pocket Rocket 2 on occasions, But my FAVORITE all round stove is the Trail Designs Ti-Tri Sidewinder. When solo I use the 400ml, when duo I use the 600ml. Man, it just works. Its lightweight and compact. I can use twigs and have a small contained fire to boil water and enjoy mini campfire with LNT when using the titanium floor. The Esbit are awesome. I’m not going to brag too much about this because I don’t want everyone running out and buying all the esbit (Good luck finding cannsiters as of this write-up 10/23/2020, lol). I am fully stocked and loaded with all sizes and grams of Esbit, and if you all decide to buy up the stock.. Well so be it, my Sidewinder is a fun pleasure to use with twigs!!! BEST all purpose all round stove EVER!!!!!!

Garmin In reach Explorer +. – Not much to say. I use it to keep in touch with the Warden when I am out on Parole. It does work, except when I’m in thick forest under canopy of trees. Thought on first night it wasn’t going to send message. It actually failed!! I was so mad because we were under canopy of trees, but I could see some sky! First-time ever that it happened!! I just left it hanging on ridge line of my hammock and while I was having so much fun with my Sidewinder sitting in my little chair I heard it zap!! I was so happy but then so ANGRY because I had to get up and out of that little chair to check it. But yes, message sent.. Relief. I would not be punished when we got home, lol. Then it got me thinking.. What if the message could not send?? What if something happened there and I or my son needed to SOS? It would not have worked? What if I was solo and could not move from that spot to get to a clearing???  Never mind.. Message sent, I hope to not find out what if.. I have it and I carry it. If it didn’t work.. Well guess what? If I didn’t have it, then it wouldn’t matter anyway. Good piece of gear for me bring solo and definitely with my son, God forbid something goes wrong and he is on his own.

Thermarest Neoair Uber light. – LOL. Its in bottom of my pack.. Am I packing my fears with this? If I can not hang my hammock and I need to go to ground.. This pad is a game changer! Or… If I cross A stunning vista and I am tired and chose to crash right there for a night with a view.. I can. I love my hammock and it is most comfortable sleep I have ever had.. Swaddled like a baby all night, so chances are I will NOT be voluntarily using the Uber Light..but hey, it is Uber Light and rolls away so small and gets buried at the bottom of my pack and I do not see it at all at any time on my trips, I don’t even think about it, though it is there hiding in the shadows of my G4-20 waiting for me if I need it.

If you made it this far.. Wow. Go You!! Feel free to comment or leave some advice. If you have not seen my short video of this trip I posted it in the Post Trip forum, I swear I don’t talk much at all in it, mostly music and you will not see much of my mug at all.. Its mostly the trail and surrounding views.

Thanks for reading this far.. Dirtbag

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Hiking Poles. – Had to add this.. See this is why I decided to write it down. I used my Black Diamond Distance Carbon Z poles. I Love them. Nothing bad to say.. Well 1 tiny little squirmish I will complain about. The straps might suck a little. It kept rubbing on back of my hand near my thumb causing a red splotch and I thought it might create a tiny blister, but it did not. Just a little irritation. I have been using these poles for what? I’m thinking last 3 years or so and never really noticed it.. But usually I hike maybe 7 – 11 or 12 miles at a shot. This time I did 14, 20, 17 and 8 mile days, and I noticed it on the 20 and 17 mile days the most. Hmmm.. I will have to keep an eye on this on future trips. Otherwise, Awesome poles.

My son was using Gossamer Gear LT5 poles. He has been using them for about 2 years now. The bottom of one of the poles snapped in half during a flat walk at about 3 miles or so in!! What the heck?? I knew it could happen, but figured it would happen during some more technical terrain maybe? Dang it. Luckily it was a small enough section that we could extend the pole a bit more and still use it. Also luckily it was a small enough section that I did not mind tossing it in my zip pocket of my pack and carrying it out.. 56.2 miles!!!!  I just ordered a new lower section today from them.. Skeptical now.. If it happens again I may just ditch them and try Zpacks carbon poles or another pair of the Black Diamonds.

Russ W
    BPL Member

@gatome83

Locale: Southeastern US

A good read Dirtbag! Had to laugh at the image of creaking into and out of your chair. I love to hear folks wax poetic about their gear, which inspires me to try new things. Thanks for sharing!

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Checked your link for the GG pack you use.  The specs say the coating is DWR; that is, water repellent, but not waterproof.  What do you use if caught in a lengthy downpour?  Thanks.

Dan
    BPL Member

@dan-s

Locale: Colorado

Great post, thanks for generously sharing your experiences in such an entertaining way. I could never figure out how to use the Deuce of Spades without tearing up my hand.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Thanks Russ. Glad I got a chuckle out of ya about that!! Its soooo true though, all of it!

@ Sam. I did not intentionally create any of those links.. It just happens on here (I think) Anyway.. I use the Clear waterproof pack liners .. From Gossamer Gear.. On all my packs. Basically I just stuff my under quilt and top quilt in in, then top it off with my “dry” sleep clothes bag, then roll/fold the excess top down and tuck it in. I then put my hammock on top of that (in Dcf double end stuff sack) and then my food bag on top, and close the pack. It works. All 4 seasons that’s what I do.. In snow and pouring rain, I have been safe and kept my gear that needs to be dry dry.

Bob Kerner
    BPL Member

@bob-kerner

Nice summary. I used the Ursack for the first time two weeks ago based on your recommendation. So much easier than playing catch with a tree particularly in spots where there are no limbs or the limbs are dead.

What plan did you go with for the inReach? It’s the one safety item I’ve never been interested in based on ( perhaps incorrect) advice that it’s not needed in Harriman and lower NY where I mainly hike.  But most of my hikes are solo or with one of my young kids and…….I’m re-thinking my position and perhaps misplaced reliance on cell coverage. I also don’t want to spend $$$ a year on something that might get used once a month.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

@ Dan.. Thanks man. Its my second time carrying it and using it. Both times thus far the ground has been moist and “duff”, so I know I’ve been lucky because here in NY, NJ and PA the ground is usually hard, rocky and rooty!  I have read about it hurting ones hands a bit.. I kind of maybe can see/feel that happen but I am not too worried about it. I dig my holes when I get to camp after my set up is complete.. Most of the times. This way when nature calls, its already dug and ready to be filled, lol. Saves some stress in the moment too.. Just go and let it flow, lol.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

@ Bob. Yes, good for you on the Ursack. So much easier indeed. Remember, that picture I posted is  NOT the recommended way to tie it off, but it works ok in a pinch. I love the Ursack. As for the Garmin. Sheesh.. I pay the plan..I think its $25 or $30 A month! I carry it when we go whitewater kayaking, and backpacking trips, so for me.. Its like 8 or 9 good trips a year. Its pricey but worth it for family at home piece of mind when I’m gone, and also when I go out with my son, god forbid something goes wrong. Harriman is usually ok with cell service.. The Catskills is not and the trails I’ve hiked in PA are usually not that great either.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

“I could never figure out how to use the Deuce of Spades without tearing up my hand.”

Put a piece of leukotape across your lower palm where you’d be pressing it against the top of the trowel. The tape should last the entire trip, and doesn’t interfere with anything else you’d be doing with your hand. Makes using trowels a bit nicer.

David Hartley
    BPL Member

@dhartley

Locale: Western NY

Love this – captures the constant search for what works. Over time overly fussy gear gets left behind even if it is lighter. At some point, after a long day – you just need stuff to just work.

WRT to water filters – still stuck on Sawyer’s, although like many – there have been problems. Reading about issues with Be-Free makes me think the grass isn’t really greener over there. Waiting for something better to come along – meanwhile I always bring some AquaTabs just in case.

WRT to Ursack – totally agree on simplicity and ease of use. Nothing better on a solo trip – takes a few seconds to secure it so you can go get water or whatever and not have to worry about the food bag. Of course I haven’t had my food mashed and slimed by a bear either. When I hike with my brother he likes to hang a bear bag (for the lighter weight) so I go that route too and leave that mechanics to him.

WRT trekking pole straps – I also have black diamond poles (cheaper ones). I used the straps on an older pair of Lekis, but the BD ones bother me so I don’t use the straps anymore, but I have left them on flapping around. Doesn’t seem to be an easy way to get rid of the straps short cutting them and leaving an ugly nub. Their only redeeming feature is that you can use them to pick up a dropped trekking pole with the other one without bending over.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

Regarding the Ursack…I’m getting to the point where the PCT bearbag hang is becoming more of a pain (even in PA it can be tough to find a branch over which to throw the line) and have been considering the Ursack.  In terms of it getting wet/soaked in a downpour at night, have you thought about putting it in a trash or grocery bag when you attach it to the tree?  Is there a reason that would be a bad idea (other than the extra weight)?

I think that at the end of a 20-mile day in October, where you’re getting into camp as it gets dark, about the last thing I’d want to do is to worry about finding a branch and getting the line over it before it’s too dark.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

@David… Lucky you with brother who likes to bear bag/hang. A friend I sometimes hike with always relied on me to bag/hang our food!!! That is when I finally decided.. All men for themselves and went back to my Ursack full time, lol. Regarding pole straps.. I use them all day so for me personally, they are a necessity.. The straps!!

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

@Kevin.. My recommendation to you in PA? Try the Ursack. Worse case scenario you can resell it on gear swap, but I’m betting after 1 or 2 trips that you will have no thoughts about getting rid of it .. And in the dark, looking for that perfect branch to hang bag properly will be a distant memory.  Also with regards to the plastic bag over the Ursack? Naaaa. I’m good. Like I said, wasn’t that big a deal and definitely NOT a deal breaker for me. We probably could have strapped it on top, outside of pack if we really wanted too.. But again, it wasn’t an issue really of getting anything inside my pack wet.. And the added weight was not a big deal for either one of us.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

“I could never figure out how to use the Deuce of Spades without tearing up my hand.”
    The problem is that, being made of aluminium, the metal has to be a bit thick for strength. That makes it had to slice into the ground.
    If you make such a trowel out of 6Al4V titanium it can be much thinner (0.5 mm), and it can slice into the ground so much more easily. See
    https://backpackinglight.com/myog_ti_trowel/

Cheers

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

BeFree – try a 1 hour soak in a 1:1 warm water and white vinegar solution, fully submerged. Filter a liter of clean water afterwards to remove any residual vinegar. Works for me.

Eugene Hollingsworth
    BPL Member

@geneh_bpl

Locale: Mid-Minnesota

Nice read. Thanks for the entertainment  :-)

I just started using a Ursack and had a surprisingly difficult time finding a tree with the branch *at my height* for the recommended tie-off.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

@Roger.. Lol wow!! A lot of work there.

@Alex
    .. Thanks, I’m gonna try that with the suspect filter

@Eugene
    .. That could happen yes, not gonna lie about that.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools