Topic

Somali Spaghetti

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Somali Spaghetti

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Five Star
    BPL Member

@mammoman

Locale: NE AL

Sounds strange, but it was seriously good.  A lot of ingredients, but pretty simple to make.  All of the ingredients combined weighed 11 oz. not counting the onion, garlic and tomato paste, so it’s not THAT much more weight that a regular commercial meal.  Well worth it for a treat IMHO.

http://fivestarhikes.com/index.php/2019/04/12/somali-spaghetti/

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

That looks awesome! You’re making me reconsider my freezer bag approach.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

I’ll try it with Ramen noodles :)

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Xawaash sounds really nice. Has anyone found a source for it online? I can’t find it in stock on Amazon and my local ethnic grocery store doesn’t have it in their African aisle. I can make it from the constituent ingredients but I’d rather buy the real stuff if I can find it.

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington
    Five Star
    BPL Member

@mammoman

I fooled around and made it at home using ramen and leaving out the fresh onion and garlic and it was still pretty darned good.

@Diane- nothing wrong with saving one special cooked meal for the last night of a hike ;)

I’ve got an upcoming 8 day AT section hike where I’m going to cook 7 meals like this, and my pack weight will be 25 lbs. at departure including a liter of water thanks to BPL helping me lower my base weight so much over the years.  I can deal with 25 lbs., especially when it includes a good dinner and a little bourbon.  But I’ve got some hikes planned next year (Big Bend, AZT section) where water is at a premium (not gonna waste any cleaning pots etc.), and a 12 day trip on the CDT between Pagosa Springs and Lake City that’s too long for my normal style….I’ll be freezer-bagging some Good2Go etc. on those hikes.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Five Star, did I miss how many servings that 11 oz. package would yield? I’m also interested in the proportions of fats, carbs, and protein, as well as total cal/serving. It looks like a quite yummy meal all in all.

I have enjoyed your posted recipes, and the culinary concoctions that you have been sharing. My own experiments have been to come up with the most calories per ounce carried, consistent with decent nutritional balance (and they must be reasonably tasty as well). I will eat most anything when I’m out there, but I want to have each meal be 125-140 cal/oz carried (to be augmented with a splash of olive oil).

Five Star
    BPL Member

@mammoman

Gary, that’ll feed one real hungry hiker or make 2 regular meals, particularly if you stretch it with a few more noodles.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I’m enjoying these as well, thanks!
    I’ve been a highly lazy, cheap, and practical backpacking eater in recent years but this has me wanting to break out the dehydrator again…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools