Topic

Solutions for slobbering

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Solutions for slobbering

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

Do you drool when you sleep? I do. To survive inside a plastic tent with a plastic bed and plastic clothing I force myself to sleep on my back. I wish there was a better solution. Is there a better solution?

PaulW
    BPL Member

@peweg8

Locale: Western Colorado

As a side-sleeping drooler, I almost always wake up in a puddle. It sucks doesn’t it? While camping, if I have spare clothing, especially a fleece pullover, I use it to cover whatever I’m using for a pillow. If I’m wearing all my clothing, then I use a bandana, which is something I never leave home without. I simply can’t sleep on my back, so that technique doesn’t work for me.

Steofan M
    BPL Member

@simaulius

Locale: Bohemian Alps

I stitched a fleece pillow case for the Montbell UL Comfort Pillow. I still side-sleep, snore and drool but the fleece takes care of the mess.

Thanks, Fleece Pillow Case! You are the best!

MJ H
    BPL Member

@mjh

One day I looked at my hiking pillow, which doesn’t have any way to hide slobber stains, and then I realized my home pillow must be like 50% spit by now. I decided not to act on that information.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Keeping your mouth closed while sleeping might help.

I use a socalled “Ruby chin strap” to keep my mouth closed at night to force myself to breath through my nose and therefore mitigate snoring, sleep apnea, etc.

Search on Ruby chin strap and CPAP and you will see multiple offerings. The ones from CPAP.com cost a bit more and last a bit longer.

MJ H
    BPL Member

@mjh

If your mouth is strapped closed, how do you shout at animals you hear moving in the night?

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I’m pretty sure I’d still drool through my closed mouth. I do when I’m concentrating playing my violin.

I’ve used extra clothes for pillow cases, but the drooling sometimes leaves a mark. Maybe I do need a dedicated pillow case.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

@MJH
    LOL.

Well when I am snoring really loud, I wake up thinking I have heard a bear near my head.

For those other animals, I just wake up and turn on my headlight to see them.

Is that not why we cowboy camp? To be closer to nature, especially in the dark.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I mainly drool at the sight of certain beautiful women.

Even W.C. Fields said, “Of course I like children… 22 year old female children.” Dirty old man! (OOPS!)

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

I made a loose fitting surgery mask type of thing from some scrap cuben and some trip tease LineLoc 3’s.  Its like a cross between a surgical mask and one of those horse-feed bags.  I can drool all night!

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

This thread had me thinking about 5 years ago when I would take a couple of Benedryl to help me sleep better when in griz country. I quit doing it when I found that I always had a dry mouth in the morning, and I switched to melatonin. Maybe a certain dosage of an antihistamine (eg – Benedryl) could help reduce the nocturnal slobber fest a wee bit?

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

I find the drooling is a function of sleeping with an open mouth.  When I’m congested, I’m a nocturnal mouth-breather and drool on my pillow (one reason to put my PackTowel on the top of my pillow).  When my nasal passages are more clear, I don’t drool at night.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

I have a pillow case made from the end of a silk liner. I stuff something inside it (fleece top/trousers/puffy top…) then make a small pillow shape and double up the end so that the side I sleep on has 3 layers of silk. Easy to wash , dries fast enough.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Seriously though, I carry a light microfiber pillowcase to fit over the top 1/4 of my mattress. Drools can easily be washed out.

Mainly I use it to keep facial oils, sunscreen and mosquito repellant from damaging my mattress fabric. The microfiber dried fast when washed and laid in the sun or clipped on my backpack.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

I wish I had not read these posts.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

@ “reduce the nocturnal slobber”

The way my dentist explained to me is that nocturnal slobbering is a combination of 1) sleeping with an open mouth and 2) the nerves inside your mouth sensing the liquid and initiating the semi autonomous response of swallowing.

If my dentist is right, an antihisaimine like benedryl might help if it cleared congestion and enabled you to breath through your nose.  Dry mouth is often caused by mouth breathing at night.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Kat,  Well, now unfortunately you can’t “un-read” this thread.
    Life is often messy. “Stiff upper lip and chive on” ;o)

But perhaps my pillowcase-over-mattress solution is just me being OCD.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools