Topic

Solomid pole length?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Solomid pole length?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Michael Sirofchuck
    BPL Member

@mr_squishy

Locale: Great Wet North

I bought a used 2015 CF Solomid on BPL and I’d like to take advantage of Ron’s sale for the new tent poles.  The tent pole page lists the recommended Solomid pole at 117 cm;  the following info is on the shelter page:
    Q: What poles fit the SoloMid 2016?
    A: One regular length 135cm or longer adjustable trek pole will work.

The tent pole pages recommends a Solomid XL pole length as 132 cm

So, experienced users, what would you recommend for fixed pole length for a Solomid?

Rudy
    Spectator

@arudolph

Locale: Middle Tennessee

I have a Solomid 2016 and use two 127cm poles in an inverted-v arrangement. This provides a rather low pitch. Since I use fixed length trekking poles with pole jacks I use a couple of rocks if I want a higher pitch. I’ve tried using a single pole but it seems to put a lot of stress on the pole tip due to the pole jack.

Michael
    BPL Member

@tjayblues

If I am correct … the Solomid 2016 and the Solomid XL are slightly different in their dimensions. The current Solomid XL is the new Asym version. The Solomid 2016 does not have the asym/offset design.

The Solomid XL was introduced late 2016 and the Solomid 2016 was a previous mid (I think introduced originally in late 2015).

I think they are close in size, but I’m reasonably confident that they are different.

Perhaps this accounts for the discrepancy in recommend lengths you noted?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools