Topic

Solomid back with Ron’s admonitions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Solomid back with Ron’s admonitions

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

I always did think Ron was funny. My take on his updated description of the mid is that backpackers have become soft nowadays and prefer space and luxury, whereas hardcore down and dirty ultralighters (like me) are a dying breed. Just my perception though.

The Solomid was the first small one person 4 sided pyramid shelter designed 20 years ago when SUL hikers were tough, sleep pads were thin and a personal FKT was the default state of mind. It is a slightly stripped down version of the Solomid XL. It is a small pyramid shelter and now with modern thick inflatable sleeping pads, the desire of most campers for more room, the Solomid XL will be the better pick for most new campers. If you are dedicated to absolute simplicity, are a smaller hiker and not claustrophobic, the Solomid might work well for you. If you mainly only sleep in your shelter and prefer to just keep hiking to put in the miles vs camp lounging – keep reading.

Then Ron provides more of a dimensions breakdown as to what would be comfortable, depending on the height of the hiker, pad thickness and pitch height. https://mountainlaureldesigns.com/product/solomid/#tab-description

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

Love this-“If you have to email and ask any questions about the SoloMid = No, You’re Not Ready…”

Perfect. Fantastic frankness.

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

Yea, I’m sure Ron got sick of whiny Solomid buyers requesting returns because they didn’t think it had enough space.

No Joke, Ron is definitely funny. For some reason the latter half of the first sentence in his description of the Solomid reminds me of Movies TV Network’s quote about Film Noir movies of the 1940’s and 50’s: “The men are tough, the women are fatal and love can kill. 

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

I think my memory is right and would love to read it again…before Ron started selling gear he had some site talking about an adventure racing team. I think it was meant to be humor because their feats were crazy wild..huge miles and stuff. I can’t remember the website or I would go try to find it again.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I’ve been happy with the standard Solomid for many years.  It’s a simple shelter for people with simple needs.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I enjoy Ron’s blunt sense of humor.

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

“If you mainly only sleep in your shelter and prefer to just keep hiking to put in the miles vs camp lounging” Me to a T.  One thing I do not enjoy is lounging.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I love lounging but I’m also small and I believe if I had a chihuahua or even an Australian shepherd, the two of us would fit just fine even with a 2″ pad, which I do not have because I’m still a bit on the tough side despite my love of lounging.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

I don’t mind a small interior, really. Storm worthiness trumps space for sure; lightweight comes next. I usually just sleep in my tent, or read a bit in the afternoon before dinner. Who needs space?

(Well. when stuck for a day in a rainstorm….yeah.)

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I’m willing to bet 5’6” me and my snuggly 35# cattledog would fit just fine but I’ve already got a shelter I like so I don’t see testing it.

Donald Browning
    BPL Member

@docdb

Locale: SE USA

OK, I’m soft. Supermid for 6’ me and my dog. Plenty of room to ride out storms.

Supermid snow

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Great production description :)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools