Topic

Solo overnight trip to Windham High Peak and Blackhead Range in Catskills NY

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Solo overnight trip to Windham High Peak and Blackhead Range in Catskills NY

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

YouTube video

I parked at Barnum rd trail head and rode my bike to Peck rd trail head, then hiked over Windham High peak (3,524 ft), Burnt Knob (3,180 ft), and Acra Point (3,100 ft)..I  made camp for the night near Batavia Kill..The  next morning I continued thru the Blackhead range..up and over Blackhead mountain (3,940 ft), Black Dome Mountain ( 3,980 ft), Thomas Cole Mountain (3,940 ft), Camels Hump (3,520) and Caudal (3,320 ft).. Out to my car!! Great time, great trip. Slept for 12 hours in my hammock!!!

Anyone looking to do a short but challenging overnighter in the Catskills should definitely check this out. There are some spectacular views, there is a good water source at Batavia Kill and a natural spring on a side trail within 1.5 miles of Batavia Kill and within a half mile or so of Lockwood Gap. You will find solitude in this neck of the woods also.. and as you will see in my video, you do not need a shuttle or 2 cars.. Just 1 car and a bike.. It’s also possible to road walk but will take longer and  it as fun!

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Edit.. It will take longer and it is not as fun!!

wish we were able to edit our original posts..

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools