Topic

solar or battery bank???

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) solar or battery bank???

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    DWR D
    BPL Member

@dwr-2

I will be doing the JMT soon… very soon. I don’t use much power. Taking phone, but expect to not use it much… could go a week at a time with it off. Taking camera (Sony RX1003)… will take extra batteries but still could need recharge… And taking inReach mini… will use for weather reports and coordination of a food drop but not daily messaging. So for those devices and minimal use, I was think it might be good to have a small / lightweight solar charger since I expect a lot of sun and several zero camp days. But is a batter bank/brick better? I expect to take a month to do the JMT… zero days every 3 or 4 days… and which product(s) do you recommend??? Thanks…

DWR…

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I used a Suntactics S5 without a battery on the JMT and found it frustrating and borderline nonfunctional. I did not take any zeroes. I can think of arguments for several setups:

1. Get a panel with much more output than the S5. This will allow you to still charge when the sun is not perfectly perpendicular to the panel or there is a little bit of haze.
    2. Get a smaller panel and bring a small battery. Batteries are more tolerant  of charging in less than ideal circumstances than electronic devices. At least that is what everyone says.
    3. Get a big, light battery and know that it’s going to work more reliably.

I choose option 3. This summer I’ll carry a 10000mah battery but I’m not going out for as long as you. I like Nitecore’s offerings. I think their 20,000 mah battery is like 11 or 12 ounces. Then you recharge with a high output charger at MTR/VVR/RM.

If you want to go with #3 then figure out how many times you want to recharge each device and look up their capacity in mah. That tells you how much juice you need. Assume that you will lose ~1/3 of the storage capacity of the battery because inefficiency.

I teach art not science. Take my opinions/experiences with a grain of salt but I’m probably right.

Maybe #2 makes sense for you?

DWR D
    BPL Member

@dwr-2

Thanks Matthew,

Need a clarification, you wrote, “Then you recharge with a high output charger at MTR/VVR/RM.”

What is a “high output charger”? Is that something I would need to carry or they have at MTR/VVR/RM???

And about how long does that take???

11 or 12 oz sounds like a lot…

Thank you!

DWR…

Adam Salinger
    BPL Member

@asalinger

Agreed on all accounts. Do the math. That’s the key. See what the capacity of each thing you will charge will be. I’ve used setups with a solar charger+battery and just a battery. I’ve dialed it in pretty well. Unless I’m going to be out for more than 12 days without resupply/charge options (last summer I was off the grid in the Brooks Range of AK for 21 days) I just take a battery. For longer than 12 days I add in the solar charger.
    My usage is similar to yours. I find my InReach never needs a charge as I just use at night. My iPhone needs a hit every 4 days. My GoPro batteries need charging every 3 days. My watch needs charging (small battery) nightly.
    I’m going to be out for 11 days this summer with no resupply/charge and my 20,000 Anker will cover me.

DWR D
    BPL Member

@dwr-2

Thanks Adam…

Which inReach do you use? I have the Mini. I expect there will be days I don’t turn it on at all. Most likely to turn it on if it looks like a storm might be coming in… just to get an idea of the precip potential and how many days. Other than that and coordinating a food drop, it will likely be off and in my pack… wonder if I will need a charge at all in 30 days?

DWR…

Adam Salinger
    BPL Member

@asalinger

You will not need to charge it.  I turn mine on nightly for one hour to send a preset message to my family with a pin.  It say’s,  “This is where my day ended today.”  Just so they can see my progress and a sign of life.  Made a pact with myself that when I turned 50, it would be time for a nightly check in from anywhere I was on the planet.    I leave it on for the hour in case of an emergency where my family needs to connect.  Luckily, I’ve never needed to receive a message…only send my presets.  I’ve got all tracking turned off.

Doing this…my Mini looses 3-5% per day. At this rate you would get at least 20 days.

Also…since you mention weather reports…statistically, the Garmin weather reports aren’t the best.  They simply take from the closest weather station…no matter the altitude. It could be from the west or east side of the range.  It can be very inaccurate.  Better to text someone at home and ask for an update off a more reputable source.  My go-to for years has been Meteoblue.  Totally different kind of forecast.  They take 5-10 stations around you in different cardinal directions and different altitudes.  Then, they use those stations readings and predictions to make forecasts with ranges of possibilities.  Gives you a much better idea of the possible high/low extremes…and a precipitation forecast with a much higher accuracy rate.  I’ve shown my family how to understand their Meteograms.  That way,  if I ever feel I need a report…they can summarize what they see in the graphics over text through the Mini.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

Take your garmin and leave it off for days on end. Assume it’s there for emergencies. Most likely you’ll never need it. Carrying heavy batteries or panels seems unnecessary on the JMT. There are plenty of people around carrying devices if yours goes down. It won’t.

“wonder if I will need a charge at all in 30 days?” good point. again, it’s the JMT. Oh, and doubtless you can get a charge at Muir ranch or Reds Meadows.

And of course you can mail food drops there and elsewhere. Will a phone even work on the jmt?

add up all of the weight of these devices and ask yourself if you really need them. I wonder…

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

if you send the message “wx now” to [email protected] with your inreach mini, a couple hours later it’ll send back a weather report for your location including the altitude

it’s a bit flaky – sometimes it screws up a little

I got this from Doug.  Who’s the expert on inreach mini

Adam Salinger
    BPL Member

@asalinger

Just saw a typo in mine 1st post…I carry a 13,000 not a 20,000.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

Oh yeah, in regards to weather…it’s pretty easy and more accurate to read the sky. It will inform you in advance of what you need to know (i.e. thunderstorms at altitude that won’t show on any weather report.) (also incoming storms.) Weather in the Sierra simply doesn’t track on most weather reports.

DWR D
    BPL Member

@dwr-2

Well… I’m not much of phone user when out hiking. BUT it is very helpful if you need to send any message other than a preset one on the inReach Mini… ANd… will be helpful at the end of the hike in Yosemite and potentially getting back to my car… But may not need any charges for that small use…

DWR…

Michael B
    BPL Member

@mikebergy

Battery Bank.

15k mAh seems to be the sweet spot for charge/weight relative to 10k and 20k sizes. The one I use below works great, and gives plenty of power for all my gadgets.

RAVPower Portable Charger 15000mAh PD3.0 Power Bank QC 3.0, 18W High-Speed Ultra Compact USB C Battery Pack Tri-Input and Tri-Output Compatible iPhone 8/11/12/XS/XR/XS, iPad, Samsung Galaxy and More https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082X6L813/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_2KVZFH5SKD1J3HZ11RPX?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

Is it really all that helpful to know the weather on the JMT? You’re not going to leave the trail, and you have to deal with whatever comes your way anyway.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

What is a “high output charger”? Is that something I would need to carry or they have at MTR/VVR/RM???

You would carry it. Something like this one.

And about how long does that take???

It depends on the battery and charger you choose. Best case scenario is still a couple hours.

11 or 12 oz sounds like a lot…

I don’t disagree but i think you are going to more than that weight with any functional solar panel.

DWR D
    BPL Member

@dwr-2

“Is it really all that helpful to know the weather on the JMT? You’re not going to leave the trail, and you have to deal with whatever comes your way anyway.”

VERY HELPFUL…

I indeed CAN leave the trail and I do not have to deal with whatever comes my way… this is NOT a do or die mission, ya know…

1) I have seen it rain in the Sierra for a week… and heavy. With a forecast like that I might just hike out and go home.

2) I have several zero days planned… if forecast for an intense storm, I could opt to stay in camp rather than head over a high pass in a lightning storm.

3) Weather reports include smoke reports. If it’s forecast to be smoky for a week, I will hike out and go home… not going to breath smoke 24/7 and ruin my health…

4) if it’s going to turn cold, I could opt to camp lower rather than higher

……………..

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Re: High output chargers

Just be sure the high-output, fast-charging protocol of the charger matches the fast charging protocol of the USB battery bank.

For example, not all of the USB battery banks sold by Anker will take advantage of the “Power IQ3” protocol used by Anker.

One could hope that some day given the USB-C PD standard, all the vendors will standardize on one method.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools