Topic

Solar Flare

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

There was a large solar flare

Maybe we’ll be able to see Northern Lights tonight and tomorrow night

Washington state?  Northern Oregon???

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Thanks for the heads up. I’ll be flying SEA-ANC the night of the 16th. Not a lot of dark hours this time of year, but some over BC. I always sit on the east side of the plane for the mountain views and possibility of seeing the aurora.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

That’s cheating : )

You should definitely see it up there

I was in Jasper National Park in BC once and saw Aurora.  You probably see it routinely.

MJ H
    BPL Member

@mjh

The northern lights can go very far south, if the conditions are right. I’ve only seen them once and that was in Nebraska. It was northern Nebraska, but I was still very surprised to see them.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

I saw them once, and only once, late fall from out of the orchards around Dryden, Wa. (near Wenatchee). We didn’t know what they were at first. that’s fairly far south.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Yeah, same here, I didn’t know what it was at first.  Then, “hat must be the Northern Lights!”.  it was more of an overall white light than streaks of color.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

Yep, we saw a moving ‘finger’ of mostly white light.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

The local etiquette in Alaska is to call your friends when they’re really good and tell them to stick their head outside.  One time, there was a red stripe across the whole sky from east to west, bright enough that the snow on the ground looked pink.  Word went around REALLY quickly that night.

Twice – once in southern YT on the Alaskan Highway and once east to Tok on the Alcan – I’ve seen the entire sky green.  Some of the curtains-in-the-wind type and others that looked like (green) iron fillings on paper over a magnet.  We were both hanging our heads out the window and realized it would be safer to just stop the truck and stare at the sky for a while (it’s not like there a lot of traffic at 1 am in January).

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I must be lucky, I’ve seen the Aurora Borealis in southern Michigan, northern Pennsylvania and Southern Quebec.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools