Topic

Sol Escape Lite Bivy Mod

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Sol Escape Lite Bivy Mod

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Larin M
    Spectator

@shortytravels

Has anybody added no-see-um to the Sol Escape Lite Bivy in order to make it fully enclosed? If so, would you pls provide pictures of how you went about doing this? I’m no seamstress but I bought a sewing machine at a garage sale for $20 and am wondering if anyone has already done this before that I might be able to copy since I’m a beginner.

I really like this bivy. It is cheap, breathes, can be used as a sleeping bag in summer temps and weighs only 5.5oz.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Nm, I defer to consensus.

Anonymous
    Inactive

nm

Larin M
    Spectator

@shortytravels

Thanks for the tips!

I’ve been thinking about using the 3M spray adhesive like the guys that have expanded the bivy for a larger fit. The spray seems to work for them… just don’t want any hard feeling from dried glue under my head! hahah.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Your welcome Larin.

Martin D
    BPL Member

@natlife

Sewing the material works just fine. I added girth to the bivvy in the middle section by cutting a slit underneath and sewing a rhombus shaped piece of silnylon. I also added zippers on each side to enlarge the opening by a few inches and have the ability to close it completely. I found the material very easy to work with actually and holds a seam plenty strong.

Anonymous
    Inactive

nm

R
    Spectator

@autox

The bivy itself is sewn.

Bonding mesh may be problematic in that the open structure of the fabric (full of holes) presents less surface area to adhere to.  Liquid bonding agents (aka glue, such as Hysol or 3M products) might work, but a peel-and-stick type adhesive probably won’t.  A liquid glue can flow around all sides of the mesh fibers, while a peel-and-stick will only really grab the facing surface of the mesh fibers.

Here are some one else’s mods: https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/108280/

Also: https://backpackinglight.com/search/?q=sol+escape

Let us know how it goes!

Anonymous
    Inactive

nm

Anonymous
    Inactive

nm

Richard May
    BPL Member

@richardm

Locale: Nature Deficit Disorder

I modded mine to make it a quilt instead.

I think sewing is the better way to go with this material. I found that the SOL’s material is layered, so if you just glue it (hot glue works well BTW) the layers can still peel apart if pulled.

Andrea C
    BPL Member

@andreagattonero

I’ve modded mine to make a hood at the top :-)
    The material is similar (if not the same, let’s say it) as Tyvek 1443. I’ve stitched with my old&faithful Singer machine, using a wide and well-spaced zigzag pattern. A 2mm shock cord and two mini cordlocks have added no weight at all, arguably the bag is lighter now due to some material removed when cutting the top to shape it like a hood.

One day I may add a removable no-see-um netting in the opening, and seal all the seams with silicone mix

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools