Topic

socket adapter

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) socket adapter

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Fred eric
    BPL Member

@fre49

Locale: France, vallée de la Loire

I plan to replace my Mu charger with his 2 x6W by a 18w Anker power iii nano:

https://www.anker.com/store/powerport-iii-nano/A2616121

30g acording to Anker ( i think i saw 35g somewhere)

And i am looking for lightweight but decent quality( eg that wont fall of the socket like the ones i have tried )  US/EU and US/UK adapters.

Anyone that could recommend some ( with weight) ?

thanks

Frederic

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

I’d just order up a variety of $1.67 (including shipping) versions off of eBay out of Shanghai, take them along, and toss all but the best one when you get there (or leave them at the hostel.  Some are decently compact and light, but others are overly bulky.  Realize that the different Euro-plugs are bigger and heavier than American 120-volts plugs.

With only one charger and trying to be UL, this wouldn’t apply, but in case you have some pre- or post-backpacking travel that isn’t so UL: Bring one adaptor to the local outlets and a USA extension cord sold for Christmas tree lights.  6 to 8 feet long, it will have 8 or 10 US outlets along it (they’re always green) but is light-gauge like a lamp cord, not heavy gauge like a power strip or some other 1 to 3 adaptors.  Then, you plug your one adaptor into the Euro wall socket and plug the extension cord into that.  You now have 10 US outlets for your laptop, phone, camera, headlamp, etc chargers for yourself and the rest of your party.  It is also handy if the outlet is behind the bed or across the room and you want that length of extension cord.  And, if you’re in a hostel or airport and all the plugs are taken, you can insert yourself between a current user and the wall but create more outlets for everyone to use.

Note that this works because every charger and wall wart of the last 20 years is 110/240 volt and 50/60 cycle.  Best to double check the fine print on each charger, but switching power supplies are inherently very flexible on the their input voltage, unlike those heavy, transformer chargers of decades past.

Oh, and nice find on the small, very light, but high output adaptor.  I’ll probably order one myself.

Fred eric
    BPL Member

@fre49

I am going to try the 18w Anker power iii nano ( 30 or 35g)

and

wich is 41g for 2 parts + prong and i would need only one part + prong

Fred eric
    BPL Member

@fre49

Using 3 parts of this :

charger

adapter

i have a 18W charger with US/EU/UK compatibility for 31+20+4 =55g

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools