Topic

SOCAL GGG 2019

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips SOCAL GGG 2019

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Don A.
    BPL Member

@amrowinc

Locale: Southern California

It’s a go for this year’s gathering.  May 3, 4, 5 at Cooper Canyon trail camp.  I’ll work out the directions soon and post them.  There are a number of different trails one can take to get there.  It’s on the PCT.  There should be water in the creek so that won’t be an issue this year.

This is the sixth year of this gathering and I know i’ve always had a great time seeing old friends and making new ones.  Mark you calendar and join us.

Link to last years SCGGG

More to follow.

Miner
    BPL Member

@miner

Locale: SoCAL

As I mentioned in my email, I’m attempting a 370 mile section hike of the CDT in southern NM from April 13th to May 5th, so I’ll just miss the gathering this year. I wish the rest of you a great time.

I think you have chosen a nice camp location. I remember sleeping there on my ’09 PCT thru-hike and only had to share it with one other individual. He was a Scout Master who came out a day early before his troop arrived (I lucked out on that). I woke up with my bivy sack covered in dew but I was next to the creek. I will note that was in early June and not May.

Don A.
    BPL Member

@amrowinc

Interesting Miner.  I was there on a PCT section hike May 14, 2014.  No one was there that day and I cowboy camped under a table to avoid any dew.

I’m hoping the camp won’t be crowded when we’re there.  There is quite a bit of room so I’m sure we’ll manage.

Sorry you won’t be there.  Given the option I’d be where you’re going. Be careful and enjoy!!

Bob Shuff
    BPL Member

@slbear

Locale: SoCal

What’s the situation as far as hammock’s go?

I plan to be there and look forward to seeing a new campsite.  With water nearby!

Don A.
    BPL Member

@amrowinc

Not the best picture Bob but as you can see there are trees.  I’m sure you can find two to hang your hammock on.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

This sounds promising.

Any thoughts on where to hike in from? I’ll be driving in from AZ if I can make it out there.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Simplest approach is from Cloudburst Summit at ~7000′ on HWY 2.  From there it’s only 1.5 miles from the car, max, all downhill.

I’m accompanying ~15 students to visit Manzanar and camp in the vicinity the entire weekend prior.  I might not be able to get out overnight for this one, but I’ll try and at least hike/bike through at some point to visit (trailhead is about 1 hour from my house).

Bob Shuff
    BPL Member

@slbear

Bikepacking is an option?

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

If I recall right, PCT is one of the primary foot trails that enters Cooper Canyon and bikes are off limit on it.  But there’s a fire road that parallels it and descends into Cooper Canyon.

I was only considering the ride from the trailhead down into the canyon on the fire road, about a mile, to save time if I pop in and visit.  I’d be driving up HWY 2 regardless.

Don A.
    BPL Member

@amrowinc

So many trails and so little time.  As Wisner says, the Cloudburst Summit is the most direct.  It’s 1.5 miles via the road and 2.5 miles via the PCT.  The Burkhart trail out of Bighorn Campground is 2.5 miles and is more scenic to most.  You can do a longer hike of 4.8 miles by coming in on the PCT from Eagles Roost picnic area on Hwy 2. It’s possible to come in from the Devil’s Punchbowl area on the north side of the mountains.  And then there’s always the option of hiking the PCT from Campo but for that you might want to start actively planning now.

You’ll need a National Forest Adventure Pass or a National Recreation Pass for parking at the trailheads in the Angeles National Forest.

Don A.
    BPL Member

@amrowinc

The May 3-4-5 SOCAL GGG is rapidly approaching.  For anyone who has thought about coming to one of these gatherings and has regretted not showing up after the fact, it’s time to get it together.

Come see how others do backpacking-light or ultra-light or possibly super ultra-light.  Talk about past trips and upcoming trips.  Make a new backpacking friend.  Share your experience.  Gain from others experience.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

I hope you’re going to pump up the whole Star Wars angle:

“May the 4th be with you.”

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

So is this on? Who is going?

Bob Shuff
    BPL Member

@slbear

I’m coming up Saturday and bringing a new guy from the extended family (Roy). He’s pretty gung ho to try some new gear he just got!  We may also camp Sunday night at the site or nearby.

I’ve been too busy to research much.  I assume no permits required?

I missed the SoCal Hang two weeks ago so I’m looking forward to getting out too.

Are you coming Matthew?

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Undecided still. I’d like to!

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I’ve been out 3 out of 4 four weekends over the last month and will be out camping the next, so I’m not sure I can make it for an overnight.  But I was thinking I’d pop in for a hike on Saturday and say hi if people will be there.

Don A.
    BPL Member

@amrowinc

As always, it would be good to see you. As for your ‘if people will be there” comment, that really pushes my insecurity button!  So far there have always been people show up.  Sometimes many, sometimes not so many. The only way to protect yourself from others spewing idle gossip about you is to show up….

Steve B
    BPL Member

@geokite

If someone can think of way to award something, I have two wallets (new and improved!) to give away.  IIRC, one is from hybrid DCF, and the other is from Liteskin.  Two were at the Socal Hang event.  Don can vouch for them.

I’ll be there Sat-Sun, driving up from San Diego Sat. morning (carpool anyone?)

Don A.
    BPL Member

@amrowinc

I certainly can vouch for  Steve’s wallets.  I’ve been using them for a number of years and find it to meet my picky needs perfectly.  I’m looking forward to see his latest models.  The fact that he is giving away two of them is enough reason to show up for the GGG!

This event has not historically been contest/award oriented but if all else fails we can pick numbers out of a hat, draw straws, highest card from the deck or whatever creative thing we can come up with while lazily enjoying the smell of pine and chirping of birds.

Bob asked about permits.  A CA fire permit plus the previously mentioned National Forest Adventure Pass or a National Recreation Pass for parking at the trailheads in the Angeles National Forest is required.

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama

Does anyone know trail conditions? Its been a high snow year, but Mt. Waterman closed down 2 weeks ago.  The trail down the canyon can be pretty treacherous with ice.

Don A.
    BPL Member

@amrowinc

I’ll see if I can track down a current report and will post anything I find.  The weather has been relatively warm up there with this weeks prediction of high 50’s to 60’s during the day and 40’s at night.  I doubt there will be an ice problem. The weekend prediction from NOAA is:

Friday: Mostly sunny with a high near 62.  Friday night: Mostly clear. Low near 45.

Saturday:  Sunny, with a high near 58. Breezy.  Saturday night: Partly cloudy with a low around 42. Breezy

Sunday: Mostly sunny with a high near 53. Breezy

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Bad news: I believe a section of HWY 2 is currently closed due to slides/repair work at Red Box/Mt. Wilson Road.  It is my understanding that it is open further up, from Upper Big Tujunga Canyon Road and up.  So the high country and Cloudburst Summit are still accessible, but only from the Tujunga side, not HWY 2.  I’d check it out, I was having trouble verifying this is still the case just now.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Have fun folks. I don’t think I’ll be joining. I’ll update it that changes.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

HWY 2 is indeed closed from Mt. Wilson Road (Red Box) for ~4 miles.  the closure can be bypassed by taking Upper Big Tujunga Canyon Road, which requires coming in from another direction.

Spread the word!!!!

Don A.
    BPL Member

@amrowinc

Thanks for catching that Wisner.  I thought the work had long since been finished and the road open.  I should have learned by now that one should never believe a bureaucracy time estimates.

I’ll try post a map tomorrow with directions.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools