Topic

SOBO AT 2017 – general questions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning SOBO AT 2017 – general questions

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Theo Diekmann
    BPL Member

@theo321

Hi all,

Since I’ll graduate next year, I am currently playing with the thought of doing a thru-hike before entering the serious 2/3 of life. A realistic start date that gives me enough time to write up my thesis etc. is late June/early July next year which would mean a SOBO AT which is fine by me b/c I’d like to avoid the crowd. I know about the additional challenges (most difficult part up front, bug-hell and challenging stream crossings in the beginning and possible cold weather in the end) but I think I can manage that. The idea would be for me to get in good shape before and carry a light pack so that I can quickly hike big(-ish) miles in order to finish within 120 days or so.

So far so good, but I have some pretty basic questions. Assuming a July 1st start and ~120 days, what do I have to expect climate-wise? Where will it be warm/cold what are prospective day- and nighttime temps in the different states/regions when I get there? On which stretch of the trail will the mosquitos be bad (as in: Mosquito-proof clothing and dedicated inner tent needed)?

Right now, it’s really difficult for me to visualize the hike due to this pretty basic lack of information. What I do know is that it rains a lot (which – being German – I’m used to) and that it tends to be cold-ish up north and really could down south, depending on when you get there. Any additional info is greatly appreciated!

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

Finishing November 1, you likely will miss the bugs in the southern half of the trip, at the least.  You’ll have bugs in Maine and New England but they should be bearable.  I walked a lot of Maine in August.  There were bugs but not terrible.  The worst of the bugs were in the swampy areas.

The temperatures and weather vary a bit by elevation as much as by season.  You may well see your worst weather in the Whites of New Hampshire in July or August.  October in the Smokies and southern areas will be pretty, bug-free, and probably have mild weather.  A 20 degree quilt should be warm enough.

Theo Diekmann
    BPL Member

@theo321

Ben,

Thanks a lot for your reply!

To clarify: What do you mean by “bearable” concerning bugs in Maine/New England? Will I want to bring long pants and some nylon shirt for bug protection? Usually, I don’t bring a dedicated hiking shirt and I also consider hiking in shorts+longjohns but in certain combinations of buggy and warm this might be the wrong approach.

Concerning the weather, I do have a 15F down bag. I thought about starting with a 30F synthetic quilt and switching it for the down bag towards the end of the trip. Or do you think 30F is too cold for the Whites in July/Aug? Do I need a fleece to supplement baselayer+rainshell for the Whites or can I expect day temperatures to be warm enough to get by without one when moving (I’ll bring a puffy jacket anyway, but it’s not great when on the move)?

Thanks again!

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

People are different with bugs.  And years are different.  I hiked in shorts and short sleeved T in Maine and was fine.  There were a couple of areas walking in swampy places where we walked fast to try to keep the mosquitos off of us.  But I never bothered with my headnet.  I slept under a tarp at night and had a few buzzing mosquitos but nothing to make me use my headnet.  This was early August.

I would want a fleece or puffy in the Whites, maybe both.  If you are staying in the huts, cold nights won’t be such an issue in the Whites.  It can be really windy and cold up there though.  Don’t take them lightly because it is summer.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools