Topic

So they are testing Mutant Mosquito Killers in Florida…thoughts?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire The Natural World So they are testing Mutant Mosquito Killers in Florida…thoughts?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Phong D
    BPL Member

@poledancer

So they have these mutant mosquitoes that if released to the wild they can breed out the mosquito population of a specific species.  The ones they are targeting are the ones prone to disease transfer.  I read a report a while back, that some scientists believe we can safely wipe out the mosquito population and not destroy the circle of life beyond its self repair mechanisms.  Now, in the news recently, they are ready to release some of these as a test in Florida.  The justification for wiping these little buggers out is that they are (or are close to) the most deadly creatures (in terms of human deaths) on earth.

Frankly, I just hate them cuz they suck.  Plus, if they are all dead, I can shave off a few ounces without my bug gear.

I know the plan isn’t to wipe out ALL the mosquitoes, but this now sounds like a possibility at least.  Thoughts?  Will they go into the wild to release the zombie mosquito apocalypse?  Who the hell are we that we think we can wipe out an entire species?  Good riddance??  I’m curious what backpackers who have been plagued by mosquitoes think.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Governments have done the same for other pests that adversely affected people and livestock for almost 70 years.    The most studied was the screwworm eradication started in the western US in the ‘50s and then in other countries using sterilized mates..

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ourfocus/internationalservices/sterile_fly_release_programs/screwworm/screwworm_history

Scientists also bred mates with mutated genitalia to trap the unsuspecting suitor insect, dooming both (talk about “Dr. Evil”).

Think it’s state-level entomology teams and municipal public health depts that constantly monitor the insect populations using traps (insects etc multiply so fast a little trapping won’t hurt .. the r factor in ecology iirc … where smaller sized species are shown to replicate faster with more offspring).

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

The mutant ninja turtles worked out well.

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama

definitely mixed feelings… I hope the scientists know what they are doing… and mosquitoes suck!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools