Topic

So, I really want a 5.5 lb tent. Am I dumb for wanting it?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion So, I really want a 5.5 lb tent. Am I dumb for wanting it?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Joey G
    BPL Member

@joey-green

So, the tent is the Fjällräven Abisko View 2. I would love to take this tent into the mountains and open it up for the view. https://www.fjallraven.com/us/en-us/bags-gear/tents-sleeping-bags/tents/abisko-view-2

Am I dumb for wanting this?

My base weight would be like 16 without a bear canister. https://lighterpack.com/r/8u4bi6

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

If thats what you want!!! Go for it!!  I think the weight is what it is.. and if your kit is dialed in and you dont mind a 5.5 lb tent.. and you will use it,  by all means go for it.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

Where are you hiking? That tent would be overkill for me, three season hiking in the Sierra. Ask yourself if next you’d really be wanting a serviceable tent  that was four pounds lighter. I would.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

You can go lighter obviously. But if it makes you happy go ahead. Hunters would be super happy to carry “only ” 5.5 pounds of rifle chasing elk, a 5.5 pound packraft +plus gear didn’t stop me from enjoying a hike through Wyoming. Weight is somewhat a matter of perspective.

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Whether or not you’re dumb depends on why you want it.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

If you want a double-walled, more traditional tent that opens wide for views, and don’t want to carry 5.5 lbs, check out the SlingFin Portal 2 which is under 3 lbs.

If you are totally in love with the Abisko, just go for it.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

A tent is one of the few items where one can gain a major weight savings (defined as a pound or more) at one fell swoop. Most other items, we’re counting ounces. the above tent is really expensive. That same amount of cash would buy a very, very good DCF tent with roll back twin vestibules that weighs around two pounds. So, for me, it’s a non-starter. But for others, it might be great!

Joey G
    BPL Member

@joey-green

thanks all for the comments

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Mind if I ask.. why that particular tent?

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

Or a 1.75 pound Tarptent Double Rainbow:

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Phillip: exactly what I had in mind.

For that matter, when I want to take in the views…I’m outside of my tent. So, a tent with a view is of limited use for me.

Ratatosk
    Spectator

@ratatosk

My worry about that tent would be that Fjallraven says it’s “stable in wind with two poles that cross” and then shows pictures of the thing with enough guylines to restrain a coked-up baboon. But if you want it, get it. Worst that happens is you get another tent down the line.

Stumphges
    BPL Member

@stumphges

Joey, that Abisko tent has a very strong pole architecture, but it is very heavy. Kuiu make a 3 pound tent with similar pole setup that has a very good reputation for storm resistance: https://www.kuiu.com/products/mountainstar-2-person-tent-gunmetal-camel?variant=40536246845598

They don’t show both vestibule doors open, but there’s no reason why you couldn’t do that.

Regarding views in general, I’m with jscott – I often imagine myself lying around taking in the view, but find I spend little waking time inside a tent.

Naturehike also make an affordable tent in the same pole style that seems tailored for chillin’ with views: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003321283221.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.2ed71e14PGSrOV&algo_pvid=7edd5ff6-8a23-481e-8e89-64929f0d0dd7&algo_exp_id=7edd5ff6-8a23-481e-8e89-64929f0d0dd7-8&pdp_ext_f=%7B%22sku_id%22%3A%2212000025202502197%22%7D&pdp_pi=-1%3B148.0%3B-1%3B33.6%40salePrice%3BUSD%3Bsearch-mainSearch

Dale K
    Spectator

@dalekorm

My question is why? Lot of good tents available for less weight that are not that expensive. Ultimately it’s whatever makes you happy. Two things I like. A warm sleeping bag and a dry tent. If I have to carry a little extra weight for it I will.

Scott H
    BPL Member

@cbk57

I have been where you are in a way.  I purchased a Fjallraven back pack that weighed 7 pounds, I thought it was the ultimate last for ever do it all pack, it probably was, it was also supposed to be super comfortable etc, I figured out that while it was a very good pack, it did not suit what I wanted.  It was designed for capablities and loads that far exceed what i can comfortably carry.  You may find like myself though that you need to buy the tent experience it and find out for yourself it it works for you, or if you would prefer something with similar capabilities that weighs half as much or less.   In the end I sold my Fjallraven pack and purchased a seek outside flight one, which still could Cary far more weight that I want but weighs 2 pounds and comfortably carries the amount of weight I do want to Cary.  It has the potential for higher loads should I need it, but meets all of my normal needs.  The best answer is not going to come from me but from your own experience.  It seems good backpacking gear has resale value, so if you buy quality and don:t like something you can get all or most of your money back.

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

So, the tent is the Fjällräven Abisko View 2. I would love to take this tent into the mountains and open it up for the view.

There are other lighter tents that do the same thing. One that comes to mind is the Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL2… I’d rather use it than the Fjallraven you linked, especially with a 2lb savings.

I also wouldn’t especially like the Fjallraven with snow on top of it, whereas the Copper Spur handles snow fine.

Kevin M
    BPL Member

@scottish_kev

While Fjällräven is a fine brand, to be honest I would probably +1 the recomendation above and look at the Slingfin Portal.

It opens up both to the sides…..

or you can roll the whole front or back half of the fly back…

It is significantly lighter than the Fjällräven, but also I would venture at least as strong if not stronger, especially with its ability to tie trecking polls into the support system to provide extra strength against wind and snow loading.

Those shots are taken from their youtube video and it’s definitely worth a watch, would give you another option to investigate and compare.

YouTube video

Kev

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools