Topic

Snow White Syndrome

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Paul S
    BPL Member

@commonloon

I’m about 50% Finnish… I find my face and neck are, at far and away, the most sensitive to sun. I always wear a hat, large (lots of coverage) sunglasses, a buff and lightweight LS shirt w/ a collar or long neck (otherwise I get burnt between the buff and the shirt). I use Waxhead and Blue Lizard lip balm and sunscreen, both with zinc oxide. Plus long shorts (or equivalent); when I’m trying to cover miles pants don’t work well for me. My 2 cents.

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Locale: Berkeley Hills

Timely discussion as I when I got home from work yesterday I found the kids watching “Physics Girl” do interesting things with sunscreen and a UV camera.

Here’s the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRD-xvlhGMc

Very interesting and entertaining.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Craig, I’m intrigued by that Patagonia Tropic Comfort Hoody II.  One reason I like an umbrella is that it is cooler underneath it.  It would seem that a hoody would be warm, but you say that it is a very breathable.  It certainly would be lighter and far easily to pack – I keep a strong mailing tube for my Chrome Dome for when I fly with my gear.  And the hoody would be more versatile, right?  It’s an additional layer (1/2 layer?) to keep one warm then needed which the umbrella does nothing for.

robert mckay
    Spectator

@rahstin

Locale: The Great Land

Red beard pale PCT hiker here checking in. I covered up from head to toe and never used sun cream. The Outdoor Research Sun Runner hat was amazing, and worked well even in the wind. My hands got burnt pretty bad in the first couple weeks, then eventually adapted.

Paul S.
    BPL Member

@pschontz

Locale: PNW

I’m intrigued by that Patagonia Tropic Comfort Hoody II.  One reason I like an umbrella is that it is cooler underneath it. It would seem that a hoody would be warm, but you say that it is a very breathable.

It’s definitely hotter in my experience than a hat and long sleeved shirt especially if you’re in a low/no wind environment.  If there’s a decent amount of wind the extra coverage is nice.  I use mine more on the water or beach than hiking.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

David:  It’s proven breathable enough for me, better than other sun shirts I’ve tried (REI Sahara in both button up and pullover).  This stuff is obviously subjective, but I think it’s probably been one of my most successful articles of clothing to-date.  It works well as a base layer in colder temps but has served me very well in the Mojave and Eastern Sierra at 100+ degrees.  Granted, it’s probably a bit smellier on day 3 than merino (at least I’ve been led to believe merino is better than synthetic in this regard), but the durability is there.  I rock climb in it, backpack, fish…it’s going on its 4th year and I haven’t worn it out.

For whatever it’s worth, I sized down.  Typically I wear XL but in this case the L is spot-on.  I REALLY wish they made this in something earth or brush tone for hunting.  As soon as I buy a replacement I’m going to try and dye the one I have.

I’m a fan of the OR Sunrunner too Robert.  I dyed mine coyote for hunting prior to finding an acceptable L/S camo hoody.

Rod Braithwaite
    BPL Member

@rodo

Locale: Salish Seashore

The BPL community is great. Many thanks to all the posters who have offered suggestions. I have definitely learned some new things, and have lots to follow up on (except maybe the Cheetos spray).

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

I’ve seen two main styles of covering up with shirts and pants to protect from the sun in hot weather:

• Traditional loose clothing, sometimes with cotton in the blend, allowing more air circulation

• Form-fitting shirts and leggings using Lycra/Spandex and synthetics to wick and dry quickly

I’ve tried both, and prefer form-fitting shirts, though I still hike in shorts.

Is one style objectively better than the other, for some definition of “better”?

— Rex

Paul S.
    BPL Member

@pschontz

Locale: PNW

I REALLY wish they made this in something earth or brush tone for hunting.

They added a beige/gray camo pattern to this year’s hoodies.

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools