Topic

Snow Pack/Hiking Season in CO Mountains

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Snow Pack/Hiking Season in CO Mountains

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Nick Otis
    BPL Member

@notis

Locale: CA

I haven’t backpacked at all in CO–only a few summer day hikes. It looks beautiful. Spirit Air has some dirt cheap flights into Denver. I’ve got my eye on Lost Creek Wilderness loop, Twin Owls loop, and Four Pass loop for some weekenders. What’s the snow pack like? Does anybody know generally when these areas will be hikable? We have very little snow hiking experience, but consider ourselves good, adaptable hikers. Paul Mags speaks a little to the hiking seasons at different elevations in CO, but can anyone comment on it for this year? Total newbie for this area, so feel free to school me with links, etc. Cheers!

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

You might want to check with us again around June 1st. We just had the mother of all spring snow dumps this past weekend, which added another 3-4 feet of snowpack in the high country (that already had from 3-7 feet accumulated at 9-10,000′).

Lost Creek and Twin Owls are at lower elevations, but I kinda think the 4 Pass Loop will be a bit tough to negotiate until sometime in July. We’ll have to see how fast the melt-out happens, of course. I would suggest that you book your flight for sometime after July 15, just to be safe.

Nick Otis
    BPL Member

@notis

Thanks, Gary. Really appreciate your insight. I think I’ll hold off until the summer then…or maybe book a trip in the fall. Although I’m from MA, I’ve never seen the aspen foliage in CO and it looks like a treat. I wonder if there’s snowpack websites for CO like there are for the Sierras here…

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Nick, if you want to catch the CO aspen colors, shoot for Sept. 15-27, depending on the elevation.

Mercedes Clemens
    BPL Member

@motorlegs

While by no means complete, the USDA has snow sensors in some areas which can be helpful for trip planning (also kinda fun to check after a big storm). Here’s the link to the interactive map:

http://1.usa.gov/1XW5YhN

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

This site is very useful and updated daily if you want snow pack info. 

Generally speaking, the LCW “opens” up in late May or early June depending.

The higher country? Early July.

Last year we received a wallop of a snowstorm in May and that delayed things quite a bit for what most people think of as backpacking season. So things can change quickly. Gary’s idea of checking in June is spot on.

I’ve changed my personal plans already for this weekend quite a bit due to the weather. I am now doing an overnight backpacking trip…on skis.

Nick Otis
    BPL Member

@notis

Thanks to all for the info! Just learning my new state of CA, and CO is new territory for me. Cheers guys (and thank you Paul for giving me a boost with the trip suggestions on your website).

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

My pleasure. Feel very lucky to explore the nooks and crannies of my adopted home.

Nick Otis
    BPL Member

@notis

Now looking towards a southern loop in the Wind River range. Used Mercedes’ link to get snow depth info at the trailhead, but I’m currently trying to find snow depth info for some of the passes, etc. to see how feasible a mid-July trip would be.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools