Topic

Snow Gaiters. Recommendations.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Snow Gaiters. Recommendations.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Don Burton
    Spectator

@surfcam310

Locale: City of Angels

I’m looking for some recommendations for some snow gaiters. Initially they will be for some local peak bagging day hikes that may involve snow. I’m thinking long ones for possible post holing. I was looking at the Montbell ones and like the weight of the Gore Tex Light long ones they have but was concerned about their durability.

I’m new to hiking in the snow so I’m open to all advice. For my set up I’m thinking Injinji Cool max sock > thin wool liner type sock > Rocky gore tex sock > Saucony Xodus trail runners > gaiters. I’m really set on wearing Injinji socks as my first layer. They make a wool version also. I would anticipate hiking/daytime temps to be around 30-50 F.  From talking with others in my area, Microspikes seems good for these hikes.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Hi Don.

I’m on year three or so with my OR Verglas Gaiters.  If you search the forums here, you’ll find a few complaints on fit.  They’ve been fine for me.  They don’t breathe all that great but I don’t really have any issues with condensation in the wintertime, and only wear them for SAR stuff in the summer time when the moisture isn’t really a liability and I really don’t notice it until I take them off.  There’s likely better ones out there but I’ve been happy with them and feel they are worth consideration.  Probably not the best endorsement in the world but I’m not in the market to replace them.

Regardless of which brand you go with, I’d stick with tall ones similar to the Verglas Gaiters.

I typically just wear Kirkland wool socks and a hiking boot in the winter time, and Wright Coolmax sock with La Sportiva Wildcats in the other three seasons, so I can’t speak to your sock/shoe/goretex sock idea.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Knee-length light Gore-Tex, with waterproof section around the shoe.
    Yes, this is one of those places where I think GTX does work.
    I doubt you will have any wear problems even with quite light GTX. Our snow gaiters are years old and just fine.

Cheers

Jeremy and Angela
    BPL Member

@requiem

Locale: Northern California

I have three pairs, the OR Verglas and two others.  Because of the breathability issues with the Verglas, I may end up selling them.  The other pairs I have are a very short pair of OR Flex-Tex II gaiters, 165g on my scale (Size L/XL), and a long pair of the Sea To Summit Alpine eVent gaiters, 286g on my scale (size XL).

For summer or hard snow I’d stick with the shorter pair, but it’s worth mentioning that if your pants aren’t long enough they may not stay in the gaiters.  (My mistake for not buying my hiking pants in a “tall” length.)

-J

Don Burton
    Spectator

@surfcam310

Locale: City of Angels

Thanks for the input.

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

As Roger said, I find GTX gaiters actually work in snow.

My favorites ones are the Log House Designs ones made my a small company in New Hampshire. Campmor sell them as the Easy Gaiter II.  I have used them in mainly in Colorado, but I used a pair for winter backpacking in New Hampshire before I moved to Colorado.  The design is so good it has hardly changed since I bought my first pair in 1998 or so.

Wrote a review of it with more info:

http://www.pmags.com/gear-review-log-house-designs-gaiters

Anonymous
    Inactive

The Easy Gaiter no longer appears on Campmor’s site, and no gaiters are to be found on the Log House Designs page. So unless someone else picked up the design, need to look for other options.

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Sorry to hear they are out of stock. They were in stock as of last year at this time.  Have you tried reaching out to Log House designs directly?

Their retail outlet shows a HECK of lot more products than what is on their webpage…

http://www.loghousedesignsusa.com/retail-outlet.html

..and shows gaiters :)

Daniel Sweeney
    BPL Member

@siskiyoudaniel

Locale: SWVA

I’ve been out snowshoeing 6-7 times over the last month and decided a pair of gaiters was worth it after repeatedly having to pull my pac-boot liners to dry (from snow getting in my boots) after every hike.  I bought a pair of the campmor gaiters and wasn’t a fan.  They’re a one-size-fits-all type deal except I didn’t fall into “all”… they have no way to tighten the top of the gaiter around the calf.  Also, one of the snap buttons exploded on the day I got them.  The webbing and buckles also seemed mismatched.  Too bad because they were a good price.  For now I’ve just been going with make-shift gaiters made from an old pair of thick, knit acrylic socks that I cut the toes off of… they’re not waterproof but in the snow conditions I’ve been using them in they’ve done their job (keeping my pants, socks and boots dry) quite well.  Definitely a dirt-bag (free) solution but they’re light, they dry quickly and for day-trips have served admirably.  Here’s a shot these home-made gaiters in action:

YMMV.  Cheers

Edward Jursek
    BPL Member

@nedjursekgmail-com

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I use OR’s Crocodiles Gaiters. Great construction and details, bomb proof.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Back country skiing and hunting do intersect at this point for me. I’ve used my Cabela’s camo, knee-high GTX gaiters for both for the last 15 years. The gaiters are getting a bit worn on the inside foot area but still do the job.

Often overlooked is that gaiters add at least 10 F. to foot warmth. Try taking off one gaiter when you’re sitting around camp and feel the difference.

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

My favorite gaiters for snow travel are again avail at Campmor.

https://www.campmor.com/c/campmor-gore-tex-easy-gaiters-ii

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Knee high Gore-Tex with hypalon arch strap.

If the underfoot strap is just nylon webbing then coat it liberally with Shoo Goo for durability and to prevent ice buildup.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools