Topic

Smokies DEC footwear

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Smokies DEC footwear

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Will P
    BPL Member

@wperrott92

Planning to start at the NOC December 22 and first do the 60 mile AT/bartram trail loop before knocking out the BMT/AT smokies loop.

<span style=”text-align: center;”>From what I’ve gathered snowshoes are only rarely warranted in the smokies? Additionally I am going back and forth over whether to go with trail runners or WPB mids and gaiters. </span>

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Most of the time trail runners will be fine as often there is no snow, or if so the snow on the AT is worn from pretty decent amount of travel.  I’ve had a few times snowshoes might have been helpful but not many times.  Perhaps you can get a high elevation snow report just before you go.

Russ W
    BPL Member

@gatome83

Locale: Southeastern US

Agree with Brad…trail runners most of the time. Check the forecast and if light snow at elevation, < 6-8 inches, I use either Salewa or Hoka GTX mids with light gators.

There is a daily blog by the lodge caretaker at Mt. Leconte, which at 6,500ft. offers great insight into what conditions are realyy like:

http://www.highonleconte.com/daily-posts

The problem with weather forecasts in the Smokies in my experience is that the weather varies greatly depending on elevation. A forecast from Cherokee or Gatlinburg will give you some general direction, but you’ll need to adjust for elevation. If the snow gets too deep, get off the ridge and go low.

Will P
    BPL Member

@wperrott92

My initial plan was to do all of the smokies and the roan highlands on the AT but I would be eating an enormous shuttle cost. Trail runners would be easiest and save me buying more gear. Rest of big items

pack-zerk40 or ula circuit

sleeping-WM kodiak, extherm and ccf pad

shelter-Skurka high route

worn clothing – merino 250 wt shirt, outdoor research forossi pants, Patagonia R1

Carried-outdoor research foray rain gear, Sierra Design’s elite dridown parka, M67 insulated pants, silk weight surplus sleep layers

traction-micro spikes

right now for my hands I have my showa 282 & liner but I was looking to size up to fit a mid layer glove or change to a mitt system.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools