Topic

Smallest Packing Fully Enclosed 2 Person Shelter?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Smallest Packing Fully Enclosed 2 Person Shelter?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jacob
    BPL Member

@jakeyjohn1

Excluding a tarp with two bivies, what is the smallest packing fully enclosed 2 person shelter?

I found this thread from 2013 that pointed out the SMD Haven.

I thought single wall, trekking pole, nylon/poly tents would be the smallest packing but GG’s The Two packed size is 12″x6.5″ and the zpacks duplex is 13″x7″. Other single wall nylon/poly tents don’t give much improvement over DCF either. I found this picture in this thread of a DCF Haven zero g which makes it look like 1-2L packed.

Even if the inner doubles that it would still be half the packed size of the Duplex while being a double walled DCF tent of similar shape. Clearly I don’t understand what correlates to pack size. Since many manufactures don’t list pack size I hope others can offer their experience. SMD lists the same packed size for the haven, haven zero-g, haven inner, and haven+inner bundle.

So is the SMD haven zero-g with inner, a double walled DCF tent, counter-intuitively the smallest packing 2 person shelter?

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Is “smallest packed” more important to you than any other consideration? If so why?

For me, a tent being a very important piece of gear, I would give up a few cubic inches of packed space for things like 1.)-> better wind stability  2.)-> more interior living space  3.)-> higher build quality

Jacob
    BPL Member

@jakeyjohn1

In my experience smaller packs are more comfortable, so I am looking for smaller gear in order to use a smaller pack.

Lots of info has already been posted on currently available tents’ wind stability, living space, build quality etc. What I can’t find is packed size info from BSI, Hillberg, Kuiu, Locus Gear, MLD, Seek Outside, and others. Moreover, I know some shelters like the double rainbow can be stuffed  smaller than the size of the stuff sacks they come with if you store the poles separately; How much smaller? I don’t know.

Can anyone suggest 2 person fully enclosed shelters that pack down as small or smaller than the smd haven? Based on what info I have the haven is the smallest packing tent that provides the level of shelter I want; but I simply don’t have info on most choices.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Jacob, I don’t think two shelters that claim a 6×12 packed size are typically comparable when one is DCF and the other is silnylon. The silnylon one generally compresses more readily. just my perception based on the shelters I’ve owned.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools