Topic

Slingfin is making a Portal 1

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Slingfin is making a Portal 1

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Joey G
    BPL Member

@joey-green

Joey G
    BPL Member

@joey-green

And they are making a portal 3

https://www.slingfin.com/products/portal-3

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

‘Minimum weights’ are 40 oz (1p), 46 oz (2P), and 60 oz (3p).

Interesting that the increase from 1P to the 2P is only 6 oz, but then if you want the 3P it’s another 14 oz. Typically it is about the same increase from 1P -> 2P and it is for 2P -> 3P. Looking into this, it appears the 3P is a larger increase because they didn’t just increase the size – they also changed to thicker poles (8.7mm -> 9.3mm).

Joey G
    BPL Member

@joey-green

Nice catch Dan. I wondered about that.

I have the Portal 2 and do really enjoy it for when I want freestanding. I think I’m going to pick up the Portal 1 for a Wonderland Trail trip I’m( hopefully ) doing this summer. There will be 3 others on this trip and from my research, tent space is limited. So I’m really just wanting it for the smaller footprint.

Jon Solomon
    BPL Member

@areality

Locale: Lyon/Taipei

It’s not clear whether the 1P has provisions for using trekking poles to support the structure. But then again, the product page for the 2P version doesn’t mention that feature, either. I guess that it would be difficult to incorporate this feature on the 1P since it only has one door instead of two on the 2P version.

Chris K
    BPL Member

@cmkannen-2-2

Slingfin confirmed you can use trekking poles on the 1P just like the 2P. (Comment in their IG post)

Jon Solomon
    BPL Member

@areality

Thanks, Chris, for sharing that. In practice, it must mean that you’d have to loosen the fly on the side with no door. Better than nothing, that’s one operation I would really not like to undertake in the middle of an unexpectedly harsh storm.

Kevin M
    BPL Member

@scottish_kev

It’s not clear whether the 1P has provisions for using trekking poles to support the structure.

I’m pretty sure the same features carry across the portal range now, so they all have the same pole design, all have the internal guy lines, and all have the attachments on the cross poles for trekking poles. (and the cross pole on the 1p version is longer than the others to give a bit more internal space and vestibule room)

Jon Solomon
    BPL Member

@areality

I’m pretty sure the same features carry across the portal range now

Except for two doors, which, um by the way, is normally how you’d be able to quickly deploy the trekking poles under the cross pole.

Paul S
    BPL Member

@pula58

We like our Portal 2. It is 51″ wide at one end (nice), but much narrower at the foot end. We wish it was 51″ at both ends. So, sizing up a little to a Portal 3 might be nice for us. The thicker poles would be a plus, we wouldn’t mind the extra weight. As an aside:  I wish the folks at Slingfin offered solid or semi-solid liner options for the Portals.

Joey G
    BPL Member

@joey-green

IMO, the portal 2 is a luxury tent for one person. The Portal 3 would be a true two person tent. I might pick up one of those as well.

Brian
    Spectator

@kenna2016

It seems to me that the Portal 1 is a heavier, more expensive version of the TarpTent Rainbow. Am I missing something that differentiates the two?

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I haven’t studied this tent carefully but two poles in an X shape plus the internal guylines seem like they  would help the Portal stand up to crosswinds or snow load better than the Rainbow. That’s not a dig on the Tarptent, I think it’s a difference of intent between the designs.

Kevin M
    BPL Member

@scottish_kev

It seems to me that the Portal 1 is a heavier, more expensive version of the TarpTent Rainbow. Am I missing something that differentiates the two?

Yeah as Matthew said, its just designed to be a little sturdier, be able to stand up to more extreme weather.  The two main crossing poles, the central cross pole you can attach your trekking poles to, the internal guy lines and more extensive external guy lines, all mean it can stand up to some pretty strong winds and even a decent bit of snow load.

While Slingfin only market it as a 3 season tent, it can definitely stand up to situations that other tents in the same weight/category/style would struggle with. Other than the all mesh interior it definitely begins to cross over into 3+ or somewhat 4 season territory (though the crossbow is really their proper 4 season equivalent).

Brian
    Spectator

@kenna2016

I completely missed the 2 cross poles instead of 1. That would explain the weight difference as well as it being sturdier. Probably better for winter (snow) camping I would assume. Thanks guys.

SlingFin Tim
    BPL Member

@mrs-dash

That’s right, Dan! We made the poles bigger since as you scale up the size of the tent, the strength goes down and the wind profile goes up. 8.7mm Poles on a tent the size of the 3 would be too noodly. The Portal 3 also uses #4.5 zippers as opposed to the #3s on the 1 and 2, and the vestibules are larger as well.

SlingFin Tim
    BPL Member

@mrs-dash

The Portal and Rainbow are substantially different designs. Not only is the Rainbow a single wall tent, it uses an entirely different non-freestanding pole structure, with one long pole and a cross pole instead of two long poles.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I own a TT Double Rainbow that has served me well for many years.  I am also in my second year with my Slingfin Portal 2. Both are great tents but have completely different designs.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools