Topic

Sleeping Pads for Philmont

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Scouting Philmont Sleeping Pads for Philmont

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Terry Hoover
    Spectator

@thoover1968

Locale: Texas

I am working with two crews to prepare for 2017 treks, including myself and two of my boys.  Regarding sleeping pads:

Each of us have Klymit Static V pads, which we all love.  R value is 1.3; weight about 18 ounces.  I have a Klymit Static V Lite Insulated pad.  R value is 4.4; weight is only 19.6 ounces.  I will likely take the insulated pad.

Is the standard pad sufficient for Philmont?  We will be testing these (and all gear) over the fall/winter/spring to make sure; however, the insulated pads are available on a current Mass Drop for $65.

Another consideration would be to add an 1/8″ GG pad to the regular pad.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Terry

ed dzierzak
    BPL Member

@dzierzak

Locale: SE

What you have will certainly work. I’ve seen everything from the cheap, closed-cell, blue pad to inflatables that you mentioned. I’ve used the Big Agnes Insulated aircore. No need to get more elaborate if the Klymits have worked for you. A second pad is not necessary either. The ground isn’t that cold, and you won’t be sleeping on snow.

From the “Guidebook to Adventure” which you should get in March along with the Treks book. (The previous years book is available on http://philmontscoutranch.org in the Trek Preparation tab.)

“closed-cell foam or fully inflatable pad”

The best way to prepare is to use gear to which you are accustomed.

Have a great trek!

ed

Aubrey W. Bogard
    BPL Member

@bogardaw

Locale: TX

I hate to say it, but “it depends…” (on the individual that is).

I’m a cold sleeper, so I would need more R value than 1.3.  It’s probably fine for the Scouts.  Adding a thin foam pad is not a bad way to go, and I have done that, but I personally would probably not carry the 2nd pad unless I also intended to use it as my sit pad.  The campsites are heavily impacted, and since tents have to be clustered together one sometimes doesn’t have much of a choice.  Thus an inflatable pad helps to make up for uneven ground underneath.  Below is what I recommended for our Crew:

• Sleeping Pad, Torso-Length or Full-Length; should weigh no more than 1.5 lb —closed-cell foam, self-inflating, or INSULATED inflatable; provides important insulation and comfort. If you bring an inflatable, bring a patch kit.  Ex:  Big Agnes INSULATED Air Core or Q-Core SL, Exped Synmat UL 7,  Therm-a-Rest ProLite or RidgeRest or NeoAir XLite or Z Lite, Walmart Blue Foam
    Terry Hoover
    Spectator

@thoover1968

Locale: Texas

Thank you Aubrey and Ed.

Rich Bowman
    BPL Member

@bowman

It doesn’t get that cold at Philmont – even on top of Phillips.  For me, the padding is more important than insulation.  My last two treks I’ve used a 3/4 length neo-air.  Plenty of padding and adequate insulation, plus it’s significantly lighter than the alternatives.

Matt Dirksen
    BPL Member

@namelessway

Locale: Mid Atlantic

“closed-cell foam or fully inflatable pad”

preferably both.

A thin closed celled pad combined with an air mattress is the most versatile. I used an 1/8″ CCF with a NeoAir mattress, and it was wonderful for both comfort and insulation. I used a 50D EE Enigma quilt as my sleeping bag. I had a down vest, but never needed it for sleeping.

There are always great deals on both air mattresses and sleeping bags on Ebay. Might be worth it for the boys (and their parents) to look that way, both for high quality down sleeping bags and high quality sleeping pads.

My son used a 30 year old 15d  TNF down bag, which had been to Philmont two times prior. And he still uses it for every outing we go on.

YIS

Matt

Steve G
    BPL Member

@groversan

Locale: Middle East-Levant

Neo Air was a God Send for me — I have slept worse in 3-star hotel beds… but like Ed D said above, stick with what works for you — it’s much more about comfort / weight and much less about R-Value I’ve found in summers at Philmont.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools