Topic

Sleeping pad recommendations

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Sleeping pad recommendations

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Christopher C
    Spectator

@cclarino

Hi guys,

I’ve been using the Thermarest Z-Lite Sol pad for awhile, and I just don’t sleep well on it at all. I’m looking for something lighter and more suitable for side-sleeping. I loved not having to blow up a pad every night, but I can make sacrifices.

Thanks!

r m
    Spectator

@rm

I’m an unpadded side sleeper who highly values a good nights sleep. Only managed one good nights sleep on my zlite.

Xtherm works well for me, just got a 1/8th” gossermer gear thinlight pad to use with it for when punctures are a concern, or when a tad bit more insulation is desired.
    Xtherm is 2.5″ thick, 430g, thinlight is ~75g (haven’t cut it down to match xtherm size).

(A regular zlite is 410g).

If I were to go with a closed cell mat, I’d make a franken mat and glue more foam into the hip area at first, then other places through trial and error.

Majority of my nights out lately (far too few :( ) have been on snow, hence the xtherm love.

I really think the xtherm is overall the best mat on the market, but it is expensive and if you’ve been getting along with a zlite you might not need the insulation.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

2+ inch inflatable pads will most likely be best for side sleepers. Several hours of good sleep are more important to me than  1-2 minutes of blowing up a mattress.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Exped Synmat ul all the way, warm, light, very comfy, and a breeze to inflate with a snozzzle.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

For me, the hassle of pad inflation was totally eliminated by a schnozzle or similar pump bag. Side benefit is no moisture in the pad.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

66″ X 20″ XLite Women’s pad at R3.9 keeps this side sleeper comfortable and warm at 12.7 ounces on my scale.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

XTherm or XLite is the way to go.

Add an Instaflator too.

Joe Lynch
    BPL Member

@rushfan

Locale: Northern California

Another vote for xlite. For short trips, I use a zrest underneath for puncture protection.

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

Full length foam pad and 3/4 length inflatable of some sort.

Versatile and proven combo for winter backpacking.

Katherine .
    BPL Member

@katherine

Locale: pdx

Test out a few inflatables in a store to figure out if you’re a horizontal baffle (neo air) or a vertical baffle (exped) kinda guy. One of those personal preference things.

Peter H
    BPL Member

@stickler64

Locale: Sacramento

The Multimat superlite air weighs 11.7 ounces including bag and repair kit. It takes me through 3 seasons in the Sierra. Can be supplemented with GG thinlite pads for more warmth. http://www.multimat.uk.com/store/products/superlite-air

I, too, am a side sleeper. Some nights, I’ve found that inflatables keep me awake (or from a sound sleep) because I feel like I’m teetering back and forth or a general feeling of instability. I’ve tried a bunch of inflatables. Protrail was certainly more stable feeling but didn’t provide enough cushion.  Xlite was too unstable. I fell off the sides occasionally. Klymit, Insulated Static V Lite felt pretty good. But, too heavy at over 20 ounces and the insulation doesn’t extend all the way to the sides. For ultimate comfort, I liked the synmat ul7 MW. The extra width is key if you like to turn over often.

George F
    BPL Member

@gfraizer13

Locale: Wasatch

I am a side sleeper and like the Exped Synmat UL and just got the Winterlite. I find they are most comfortable if I don’t inflate them too much. Usually to a point where when I sit down my butt will just barely touch the ground through the pad. Then when I lay down they cradle me nicely. If I have them too firm they feel much more unstable. The snozzzle is a must have accessory, very quick and easy to inflate the pad and gives you a dry bag inside your pack.

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

I took a Klymit Inercia O-Zone and made it a 2/3rds pad cut just below the hips.

I get an added pillow at only 8 ounces. It’s great for side sleeping and takes 5-6 breaths to blow up.

Arne L.
    BPL Member

@arnel

Locale: Europe

+1 for the XLite. I use a size small (3/4) in combination with a light CCF-pad for extra protection.
    The 2015 Small weighs 202 grams (7.13 ounces) on my scale, without bag.

I can imagine if you’re a tall guy things might get uncomfortable with the small since it narrows near the end.

Christopher C
    Spectator

@cclarino

Thanks for the recommendations, everyone!  Looking forward to checking some of these pads out.  Stay well – happy holidays :)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools