Topic

Sleeping pad recommendation.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Sleeping pad recommendation.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Jake
    BPL Member

@jake_c

Locale: Eastern OH

I currently have an Exped Synmat 7 in medium wide. I LOVE this pad.  It’s incredibly comfortable.  The downside is that it weighs 21 ounces with a 3.? R value.

I’ve been trying to reduce my pack weight and I keep coming  back to this pad. I bought an XLite on sale and received it last night. I inflated it and  tested it for 5 minutes, boxed it up, and printed out an RMA. It’s too narrow and the sides collapsed too easily. It’s not for me.

I’m looking for something around a pound, in a wide, that is comfortable to sleep on, and has an R value that will comfortably take me to 20 F. Does this exist?

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

What size XLite did you try?  I was thinking the Regular/Long might fit the bill.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Try the regular wide xlight. It is 25 inches wide opposed to the regular that is 20 inches wide.

The length is the same.. i believe 72.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

I intended to say regular/wide above 25″x72″.

Jake
    BPL Member

@jake_c

Brad, I tried the regular 20×72 xlite. I was curious if the 25 inch version would help with the side collapsing problem.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

I don’t know if you live near an REI or other outfitter that carries the X-Lite 25″x72″ but if you do you could always try one.

I haven’t used a 25″ wide pad ever, so I can’t comment, though I will say that I do feel that the horizontal baffles used in the Neo-Air pads are a little more prone to side collapsing than vertical baffles such as the Exped pads.

Jake
    BPL Member

@jake_c

I do have an REI about an hour away.  I’ll check one out. I have a 20 inch rei flash insulated pad and for some reason it doesnt feel nearly as narrow as that Xlite did, I just dont trust it enough to carry it as my sole pad

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

The Nemo Insulated Tensor regular wide might fit the bill. A little heavier than your target weight at 1 lb 3 oz, but very comfortable, quiet and supportive even at the edges.

Jake
    BPL Member

@jake_c

I’ll add that nemo to my list to check out.  Hopefully my REI has a display. I’d prefer to try something out before I waste anymore money on shipping.

If all else fails I’ll stick with my exped and lose the weight elsewhere. I think I could lose 5 ounces off of my cook kit anyway.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools