Topic

Sleeping Pad R-value testing

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Sleeping Pad R-value testing

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Christie C
    Spectator

@chris1

Does anyone have images of the device used to test pads I’m really interested in how all this is done and how this applys to real warm night’s sleep. Is Phillip Werner a member here?

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

YouTube video

Start at 50 seconds.

Eric Blanche
    BPL Member

@eblanche

Locale: Northeast US

I watched this video the other day showing the testing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQ8omUXhzlw Try to get past this character (jk) and starting 1:15 in.

Second the Thermarest video posted above by Greg.

Christie C
    Spectator

@chris1

Thank You Greg and Eric that was exactly what I was after. That seems like a pretty fair way to test a pad

Christie C
    Spectator

@chris1

Does anyone know what the room temp is on these tests? Also I assume that the 5° and 35° plate temps are Celsius?

Matt Dirksen
    BPL Member

@namelessway

Locale: Mid Atlantic

astm test conditions

Tipi Walter
    BPL Member

@tipiwalter

This question comes up repeatedly on cyber sites.  In the old days we read about the Rvalue of a certain pad and bought it and used it in the field on cold winter nights—or in the backyard for testing purposes.  That’s pretty much it.  If it didn’t work for cold winter nights we used the pad for summer and got another pad to use in tandem for more warmth in winter.  Pretty simple metrics.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools