Topic

Sleeping on the Snow in a Bivy under the Gatewood Cape

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking Sleeping on the Snow in a Bivy under the Gatewood Cape

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

https://youtu.be/2XXUNOxSDCo

Went out for a quick overnight trip last weekend and brought out a friend for his first time ever. I wanted to try the Gatewood Cape this time out, so I packed it along for the trip.  There was plenty of snow and ice covering everything. I also used my Katabatic Gear Bristlecone bivy, which i have used numerous times over the years. Figured this was ‘Winter” forums so I would post in here.. since this was a winter trip. My first experience using the Six Moon Designs Gatewood Cape and I have nothing but good things to say about it. There is PLENTY of room under there for myself and my gear. I did wake up to snow flurries in the morning and everything under the Cape was untouched. It was a little breezy over night, not anything to test the Cape, but it was nice to have a slight block from that breeze, considering I was using my Bristlecone bivy and NOT my Snowyside Event bivy.  I do appreciate that the Gatewood Cape packs into its own pocket, so no need  for an extra stuff sack. 1 pole set up is also something I prefer. Another peeve of mine that I fell for is the dark olive green color which blends into nature. It is fairly lightweight and packs down nice and small, I am able to pack the bivy and stakes all in the pocket with the Cape, which was another convenience.  Its a keeper!  That is the link for the trip video if interested…up above..

The Gatewood Cape pitched amongst the trees blends in nicely.

Michael B
    BPL Member

@mikebergy

Glad you didn’t have to resort to tearing apart a Lunar Solo. The green does look nice. I’d be wary of poking the canopy when you store your stakes in the pocket. Maybe a little DCF stake bag to offer a little buffer.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Yes, I store the stakes in a DCF stake sack.. with reinforced bottom.. i think from Dutchwear gear. Then I put them in the pocket of the Cape.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Michael B
    BPL Member

@mikebergy

Cool, I should’ve assumed, your posts seem to indicate you are a rather methodical fellow. Cheers!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools