Topic

Sleeping Bags for Philmont

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Scouting Philmont Sleeping Bags for Philmont

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Terry Hoover
    Spectator

@thoover1968

Locale: Texas

I am working with two crews to prepare for 2017 treks, including myself and two of my boys.  Regarding sleeping bags:

My two boys and I all have the Kelty Cosmic Down 20 degree (I also have a 40 degree bag that I will be testing with various baselayers and might go with that depending on our trek and how the weather shakes out next August).

Can anyone recommend some specific alternative sleeping bags for the rest of the boys?  Probably 10 of them need to purchase lighter, less bulky bags.  Interested in both down and synthetic recommendations.  Ideally 3 lbs or less and not too bulky.  Some of the boys need to stay in the $100 range (I found our Cosmic Down bags on sierra trading post for that, but haven’t seen them on that site in a while).

Thanks for your help.

Terry

Aubrey W. Bogard
    BPL Member

@bogardaw

Locale: TX

Right about this time in October last year is when there were deals on Sierra Trading Post for the Kelty Cosmics.  I got my son one and he used it at Philmont when we went in July.  It was fine for him in the mid 20s in February during our first shakedown.  The coldest night we had on our Trek was 42 deg F at Black Mountain Staff Camp, which is ~9K ft.  Between now and christmas there should be some deals.  Aside from the Kelty deal on STP last year, there will be Black Friday / Cyber Monday deals that will make nice holiday gifts.  Last year Sierra Designs had their previous year model Zissou 23 bags on 50% off with free shipping, ~$120 for regular size.  If someone is on a tight budget and can sew, there are Climashield quilt kits available.  Otherwise, buying used is always a good option.  Below are what I recommended for our Crew:

• Mummy Sleeping Bag or Quilt; should weigh no more than 3 lbs (1.5-2 much better)—synthetic or down-insulated, rated to 20-30° F, sized for height and girth. Note that many manufacturers now test and rate their bags by the European Norm (EN) 13537 testing protocol.  The EN-13537 rating will have three numbers:  a “Comfort” rating is the lowest temperature at which the bag will keep the average woman warm; a “Lower-Limit” rating is the lowest temperature at which the bag will keep an average man warm; the “Extreme” rating only indicates at what temperature you will survive (not a comfort rating).  Synthetic insulation is less expensive.  Down insulation lasts longer and compresses better.   Ex:  Enlightened Equipment Prodigy or Enigma or Revelation quilts, Kelty Cosmic Down or Ignite or SB, Marmot Electrum, Montbell Burrow or Down Hugger, Mountain Laurel Designs Spirit, REI Lumen or Radiant or Igneao, Sierra Designs Zissou or Backcountry Quilt, Western Mountaineering SummerLite or MegaLite or UltraLite or AlpinLite
    Steve G
    BPL Member

@groversan

Locale: Middle East-Levant

I used a 45 degree ultralight down bag — Brooks Range — purchased from Sierra for about 100.  My son used a Marmot Hibachi 32.  We both “sleep warm” — I wore a fleece hat and I had a very light synthetic down sweater that I usually pulled on after midnight (nature calls anyway — so not an inconvenience).  My son was good to go with the 32 degree bag with no hat / extra layers etc.  Neither of us wore anything other than running shorts and a t shirt as base layers when sleeping.  Neither of these bags was over 100 when purchased on sale / coupons from Sierra.  Our coldest night was up in Whiteman Vega — low 40s in July.

Be obsessive about your gear — have a use for every item you carry — no matter how small — and if you can use something for multiple tasks even better!  Most Scouts will overpack — a big part of your job as a leader is to teach them what they really need on those shakedown trips.

Have fun and I am happy to answer any follow ups.  Steve  “Make Friends with the Swap Box”

SFOldManClan
    Spectator

@sfoldmanclan

Locale: Washington DC

Just got a note this afternoon, for those looking for a quality quilt:

Alsek 22°F – Wide 6′ Top Quilt, 900fp HyperDRY Goose Down is now back in stock at Katabatic Gear.

If you would like to purchase Alsek 22°F – Wide 6′, 900fp HyperDRY Goose Down please visit the following link: https://katabaticgear.com/shop/alsek-sleeping-bag/?attribute_pa_size=wide-6&attribute_pa_fill=900wr

Walter Underwood
    BPL Member

@wunder

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

The Big Agnes demo gear sale is on right now. Do not delay. https://www.bigagnes.com/Gear/Specials

wunder

SFOldManClan
    Spectator

@sfoldmanclan

Another option is to watch Mass Drop – they have a 800 weight down quilt for $219 right now….(I would also keep an eye on lightly used gear too)

SFOldManClan
    Spectator

@sfoldmanclan

another cool thread on 20 degree quilt options

State of the 20 Deg Quilts in Feb 2019 from Ultralight

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools