Topic

Sleeping bag recommendations

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Sleeping bag recommendations

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Dale K
    Spectator

@dalekorm

Thoughts on sleeping gear. I’m 65, get out 4 to 5 times a year for section hikes. Now I’m a cold sleeper. Have a zpacks 10 degree classic. Hits 30 I’m very cold. Thinking of a Katabatic 15 flex or a 20 degree Feathered Friends. Any thoughts? Back in my adventurous days the zpacks would be fine, but not now. Like to replace it with a warm 3 season bag. Have the lithium zero for very cold weather. Sub 2 pound pack is what I want. Appreciate the insight.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

What are you using for a sleeping pad?  That is such an integral part of your sleep system that we’ll need to know to be able to make any suggestions.  And I’m assuming that you meant a “sub 2-pound bag” and not a “sub 2-pound pack”.  Lastly, what specific low temperature do you want to use?

Paul S
    BPL Member

@pula58

I’d second the question of what sleeping pad do you use, and add: what do you use to keep your head warm?

Russ W
    BPL Member

@gatome83

Locale: Southeastern US

Agree with all comments related to sleeping pad, head insulation and foot insulation. If you still need more, consider a hoodless zippered  bag of some sort, Nanutak zippered, Gryphon Gear, Enlightened Equipment,, etc. Add the head, feet, and pad insulation you should be good.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

@Dale K: Do you wear your insulating clothing layers inside the bag and still get cold?

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

All the questions above + what is the coldest temp you hope/ intend to sleep out in before moving to the lithium? Do you know how cold the lithium works for you b4 you’re cold? How is the lithium for fit could you go to a tighter smaller girth?

YoPrawn
    Spectator

@johan-river

Locale: Cascadia

The Zpacks sleeping bag isn’t a differential cut sleeping bag (none of theirs are), which reduces the warmth of the sleeping bag for the amount of fill inside it. Zpacks is notorious for over-rating their temps, so they run colder than other, better companies. I’m a big fan of Zpacks packs and shelters, but their sleeping gear is kind of 2nd tier stuff, not top shelf.

I personally have a Katabatic Flex 22. It’s super warm. You would be pretty toasty in their Flex 15, and it unzips for easy sleeping on hot nights. Their temp ratings are a LOT more realistic than Zpacks.

But, make sure, like others above said, that your sleeping pad is warm enough as well.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

Johan: +1  I have had the same experience with Zpacks shelters vs. bags.

I used a brand new, $400 Zpacks “30F Solo” quilt on the Sierra High Route last summer. I’m a warm sleeper, and wore a thin base layer plus my puffy and down pants every night. I dried and fluffed that quilt each morning before packing, and took it out early and fluffed it every night. Nevertheless, the “down” (with visible feathers no less) clumped and bunched, and I was chilly at 40* F.

When I returned I lay the quilt in midday sun in my backyard for several hours, fluffed it like crazy, and AFTER drying and fluffing took some pictures from the inside out. I sent them these pictures and described my experience, and asked for either some additional down to be blown in or a return and refund.

I was told I the quilt was made and filled correctly, and that I should dry and fluff the quilt better; in essence, “pound sand.”

I’m done with Zpacks.

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

Assuming a decent R-value pad, I’d wager you’d be warmer in an actual sleeping bag rather than a quilt.

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

@David I just looked at those bags last night and the weight and rating seemed suspect. I like some of the item Zpacks makes but these bags look like a real rip off.

S Long
    BPL Member

@izeloz

Locale: Wasatch

I had a Katabatic Alsek and liked it a lot. I got tired of drafts (being a very active sleeper) and have since gone to a Feathered Friends Tanager and like it even better. It’s lighter AND warmer than the Alsek. It’s not for everyone with no zipper or hood, but it works great for me.

Marcus
    BPL Member

@mcimes

I compared the down weight in zpacks vs other bags and their 20 and 30* bags were almost 20% shy of what the fill should be.

Strangely the 10* had 10% more fill than the equivalent hammock gear quilt.

But agreed, zpacks temp ratings are generally 10* optomistic if you just compare fill volume for a given temp.

IMO if you’re a cold sleeper go with a Gryffon gear quilt as they’re overstuffed the most (180%?) and overstuff is the #1 booster of warmth IME. even 120% is insufficient to be comfort rated at a given temp. For me, comfort rating needs 150-160% overstuff. 130% is the bare minimum that the majority of bag makers dont hit.

Any bag or quilt would probably suit you fine, just custom order one with minimum 160% overstuff and you’ll be happy I would guess.

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

A lot of group think on this site… a 65 yo that “sleeps cold” by his own admission will do better in an actual sleeping bag IME.

Steve H
    Spectator

@hop

Love the FF Tanager!  That with warm pad & head gear works very well.  As said above, zipperless isn’t for everyone, but having zero drafts is awesome & I’ve found it way more versatile then I expected.  I scootch the bag down as as needed.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

If you really like your Marmot Lithium, why not get a Marmot Helium?

Randall Dee
    BPL Member

@speyguy

Locale: Cascadia

It’s been said already, but figuring out if the R value of your pad might not be the culprit is a good place to start. At 62, I’m in the same boat and just don’t sleep as warm as I use to. I have a Timmermade False Bottom Wren with zipper on order. All the weight saving benefits of a quilt, but draft free like a bag. They already have a pretty aggressive taper, which means less space to keep warm, but you can customize it if you want. I’m hoping it’s the holy grail……

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools