Topic

Sleeping Bag DWR Advice?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Sleeping Bag DWR Advice?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Curt Peterson
    BPL Member

@curtpeterson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Looking for any experience adding a DWR to a sleeping bag. I’ve been using the same MontBell bag for 15+ years. Great bag, but it seems to absorb water (condensation, high humidity, etc.) easily lately.

I’ve recoated tents with a spray-on DWR. Anybody use these on bags? Good results?

Any advice is appreciated!

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Was the spray on silicon based or wax based? I would question whether a silicon based spray would be good for the down.

Is this a down or synthetic bag? When was the last time you washed it? Dirt and oil in the down can cause your bag to lose loft.

I had my down bag washed by Rainy Pass Repair and it was like getting a new bag back in the mail. (WWW.rainypassrepair.com)

Curt Peterson
    BPL Member

@curtpeterson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

It’s a down bag. Always taken care of meticulously. Like yours, it comes back like new after a washing.

Water used to bead up and roll off the shell, but not so much anymore. That’s what I’m trying to change. Obviously I don’t want to negatively impact the ability of the down to breath, though.

Nikwax TX Direct, maybe? The spray on version so it doesn’t get into the down?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools