Topic

Sleeping bag decisions for Kilimanjaro

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Sleeping bag decisions for Kilimanjaro

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    S Long
    BPL Member

@izeloz

Locale: Wasatch

I am planning on hiking Kilimanjaro this September and am undecided what to do regarding a sleeping bag. I currently own a Western Mountaineering Puma and a Katabatic Gear Alsek. The Puma is way overkill at -25F, and the Alsek is too light at 22F. Guide services recommend a bag rated to around 0F, although it looks like temps rarely drop below 10F. What would you do? I wouldn’t mind buying a new bag, but a 0-10 degree bag is super pricey and I may get limited use out of it. I could take the WM Puma but worry I’d be miserable lower on the mountain. I had a thought that I could buy a lighter bag and pair it with the Alsek. What rating might I need to bring my Alsek down to the temps I may see? I am considering an Enlightened Equipment Convert or Conundrum at 40 or 50 degrees to use inside the Alsek. Is this a terrible idea? I’d like to hear some ideas and input on what direction I should go with this. I’d prefer not to rent one of their bags that has been slept in by who knows how many smelly strangers. Thanks in advance for your thoughts/advice.

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

I’d take the Alsek and augment it with clothing. I have had mine into the high single digits that way but you’ll need a warm pad to pull it off. I use an xtherm year round and routinely took a Chisos into the 20’s on it. At least an R5 should work either as one pad or a lower r pad doubled up with closed cell.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Before it warms up, I suggest seeing just how low you can take your Alsek.  If you can get down to 10*F or less with clothing you should be fine, if you can’t get it below 20*F you might have to buy something else.

If you do have to buy a new bag (say a 0*F), you could probably find one here on gearswap at a decent price, use it for the trip, and pretty much re-sell it for what you paid.  The initial depreciation is when you drive it off the lot, and assuming that there is no additional noticeable wear and tear.

I also recommend a warm pad, and I have had great luck with the X-Therm.

S Long
    BPL Member

@izeloz

Locale: Wasatch

Agreed on the XTherm. I have a large and it works great. I’ve had my Alsek out a couple times this winter, but I never took a thermometer to check temps. I will have to do that next time I go out. Hopefully it gets cold again. It’s t-shirt and barefeet weather here today.

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama

This post:

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/56548/

has this equation:

x -(70 – y)/2 = z

x = first bag (higher rated/lower degree)
    y = second bag (lower rated/higher degree)
    z = rating of doubled bags

Another poster also recommends that a 40° bag will drop the rated temperature by 15 – 20°. It seems like pairing your bag with a 40° quilt would work out pretty nicely and give you a lightweight summer option.  If you want a cheap synthetic quilt the recommendation is to put it on top because moisture will accumulate on the outermost layer.

$185 at EE: https://enlightenedequipment.com/revelation-apex-40-stock/

Scott Smith
    BPL Member

@mrmuddy

Locale: Idaho Panhandle

Another option.. “ Rent” a new bag

Buy yourself a a new WM versalite..  use it… love it..be so happy that u have it while on Killy..

Get back to to the stars and sell it  ( these things have , historically sold really fast )

or.. u might just decide to keep it 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools