Topic

Sleeping bag advice

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Scouting Philmont Sleeping bag advice

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Chuck C.
    BPL Member

@ccanode

Locale: Phoenix

How warm does a sleeping bag really need to be? Philmont recommends down to 25 degrees. but that seems pretty low for the middle of summer (our troop goes early July 2017).

I currently have a 40 degree GoLite quilt that weighs 21oz and a 15 degree Marmot Pinnacle that’s about 41 oz.  Both bags work well down to their rating but the Marmot is bigger and bulkier than what I would want to take to Philmont. If it really gets colder than 40 degrees, I’m thinking about getting an Enlightened Revelation in either a 20 or 30 degree rating.

Can anyone comment on how cold it is at Philmont? If I needed to get a warmer quilt, would a 20 or 30 degree version be more appropriate for Philmont?

Aubrey W. Bogard
    BPL Member

@bogardaw

Locale: TX
    JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Not really an answer to your question, but I’ve never been sorry i brought a too warm bag whereas too many times i have been very unhapy that i brought a not warm enough bag.

ed dzierzak
    BPL Member

@dzierzak

Locale: SE

I’ve been a number of times, as early as mid-June to as late as mid-July. It’s possible to have cold nights any time. I’ve had kids survive with 40* bags, but then we’d not had any really cold nights that trek. If you stick with the 40* quilt you may need to add some of your other layers for the night.

Personally, I’ve always taken a 20* bag. Several times I was glad I did. When it was too warm, I just unzipped it and used it like a quilt.

It’s good to look at the historic weather data, but that’s only for staffed camps and can vary widely. Also, you won’t know, for certain, where you’ll be on the Ranch until you do your trek selection in late March/early April. The two highest camps (Mt. Phillips and Comanche Peak, I think) are above 11,000′. We stayed at one and had ice in our water bottles in the morning. On another trek we stayed at the other and it wasn’t noticeably cold.

BTW, a 30* seems to be sufficient most times. It kind of depends on whether you sleep cold or hot.

BC Bob
    Spectator

@bcbob

Locale: Vancouver Island

I don’t hike in your area, but I prefer a lighter sleeping bag (17 oz down).  If it’s likely I’ll encounter colder nights, I’ll take optional layers like a light primaloft or down jacket/parka, down booties, and light weight longjohns.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

+1 to what Bob said.

The estimated lower limit of my sleep system always includes all of my clothing…everything…Glen Van Peski style.

Matt Dirksen
    BPL Member

@namelessway

Locale: Mid Atlantic

Those are obviously the “recommendations”  Philmont needs to put out, in order to make sure that the 16 year old 100lb cold sleeper is properly advised. If you are a “warm sleeper”, you have a decent sleeping pad, and might have an extra layer or two to toss on if it happens to get chilly one evening, then I believe your 40d bag should be “just fine”.

The last time I went, I used a 50 degree EE Enigma. While I always sleep in tights and a Cap 4 hoodie, I never once needed to layer up with my down jacket I brought along, or anthing else for that matter (the coldest it got for us was mid 50’s at night). I was also sleeping with another adult in a TarpTent Rainshadow II – all of which added to my confidence that I’d be “just fine”. Air temps aside, just know the ground temps never get close to anything considered “cold” at Phlimont during the summer, and typically heat up substantially during the day, depending on the location. This may be of equal importance when considering what to bring.

Hope this helps,

Matt

Jason T
    BPL Member

@jasont2000

I brought a 20F down bag in 2013, and a 40F down bag in 2016.  The 20F bag was overkill.  This past July I used the 40F bag as more of a quilt and was very happy with how warm I stayed.  And the 1lbs saving was nice as well.

Jay L
    BPL Member

@jjlash

In 2012 I used my RayWay quilt and light long johns.  This combination usually gets me to the mid 40s  no problem and there were one or two nights at higher elevations when I added a light fleece.  This year (on nearly the same itinerary) I used a EE Revelation 20 and didnt even take the long johns – used shorts and a tshirt every night and was too warm most nights until the early hours.

Steve G
    BPL Member

@groversan

Locale: Middle East-Levant

It certainly depends on if you are a warm / cold sleeper and the pad you take will make a big difference.  I am a warm sleeper and took a 45-degree 800-fill down bag and a Thermarest Neo-Lite pad (and a really sweet pillow that I picked up last minute at Tooth of Time) last summer — our trek was mid-late July.  I stuck a knit hat and an ultra-light synthetic down sweater in my sleeping kit and usually put one or both on after midnight when temps dropped.  I slept great (that pad is a miracle!) Our lowest temps were high 30’s up in Whiteman Vega (breathtakingly clear and cold).  When getting up at dawn to boil water for coffee I loved having that hat and sweater — they came off as soon as that powerful sun rose.  I was careful not to cook / eat with my hat or sweater.  The only other time I used hat and sweater was for one hour on top of Baldy (made life very nice).  Maybe I was not 110% in compliance with the full segregation of sleep system from all other purposes but I was pretty close and it worked great for me. I agree with previous posts that lower limit of sleep system should include your clothing.  Your backpack will be accessible to you in camp and if you get really cold you can always pull something out.  Andrew Skurka uses the same concept.  Have fun!  Steve

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools