Topic

Six Moons Lunar Duo, Tarptent SS2, or?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Six Moons Lunar Duo, Tarptent SS2, or?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Pete M
    BPL Member

@munro21

I live in Scotland and am looking for a double skin shelter for my wife and I. It needs to be roomy (rather than a so-called two person silnylon sardine can), preferably with two vestibules, and able to deal with Scottish wind and rain. Both the Six Moons Lunar Duo and the Tarptent Stratospire 2 seem to provide a really nice living space while not being too heavy (especially when divided between two). The SS2 seems well reviewed for storm-worthiness, but I know very little about the Lunar Duo. Does anyone know how it performs in high winds, and driving cold rain? The SS2 has the option of partially solid walls which is something I’d definitely go for, for extra warmth and wind protection. I don’t think the Lunar Duo has this option.

Any other suggestions? We are looking for a lightweight 3+ season, double walled tent (or shelter with inner). We’d prefer two vestibules but are not fixed on that. It’s important that it can cope with some seriously windy and wet weather too, though I doubt we’d intentionally be camping in heavy snow.

Thanks for any advice.

Terry G
    BPL Member

@delvxe

Locale: Pacific Northwest

The Lunar Duo does okay in wind.  The weak point in wind is the large panel on each side. There is a single tie out which must be staked if it is windy. It isn’t a stellar performer in the wind, but it is a very roomy tent. I have had it in plenty of windy conditions and it has worked fine, but compared to my lunar duo, it gets blown around a lot.  Note that the Lunar Duo is not a true double walled tent but a hybrid tent.  The side panels are mesh with exterior silnylon doors, but the majority of the tent is a normal single walled tent.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools